White spots, larthagic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLGriffo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two fancy goldfish that are looking quite ill at the moment. They have white spots all over, especially on their fins and are very larthargic, sounds to me like fin rot although i'm not sure, one of the fish look as is hes on his last days, help?

Can you please provide some more info so we can better help you? Tank size? Water parameters? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? How long the tank has been running? How long you have had them? Do they look like they have dusted with sand or is a white fuzz/hairs? A pic would really help as well to ID whats going here. Thanks!

Thanks!!! The video is definitely appreciated!

Ok, your guys do not appear very happy. I could see something on your one guys side but could not clearly tell what it is. Is it a sore? Fuzzy, red, pitted, anything specific you can tell will help! Beyond this, I could not see anything specifically on them beyond their behavior. Do they appear to have been dusted in sand? Or do they have a white film/fuzz anything specific can you can describe?

Ok, this is the most important thing here because I suspect the issue is mainly a water quality one. Do you have a decent liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? What do they read right now? What type of water conditioner do you use?

Bored and water quality

Well first of all some decor may help the fish become a little more active. The one that was in the corner looked like he may be beyond help. Have you tested for ammonia lately and please post the ammonia levels. Another question. Do you have a filter because I couldn't see one in your video. Good luck!:)

It is like they have been sprinkled with salt, white spots all over themselves

Please increase your water changes and atleast get your water tested if you don't have a kit. It will be difficult to get your fish well if the water is unhealthy. It sounds like they have classic ich. Treating goldies is easy with .3% salt but you MUST have healthy water before you can start.

Dissolve 11.4grams per gallon of aq salt in a container of treated/conditioned water. Shake until dissolved. Add the salt solution gradually over 48hrs. Then do 50% wcs every other to every day depending on your water parameters. When you do 50%wc, add back half original salt dose predissolved in treated water along with the new water. Maintain this for one week AFTER the last spot is gone then just don't add back salt with future wcs & salinity will gradually return to normal. Please ask if you have questions!

I have took my enquiry and a bottle of the water to the local pet shop and they told me that it was fin rot, the more active fish has now passed away (which was a suprise) and the more ill looking goldie is now on the road to recovery! I will keep updated!

Back
Top Bottom