White Spots Not Ich ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blaine3119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 glass fish that have small white spots on their body and fins, I have experience with ich in saltwater, this is my first freshwater, and this looks like Ich. Raised my tank temp up to 88 degrees added salt, and bumped up circulation. After 5 days the same 2 fish have the same spots on them, no other fish affected, spots not dropping off the 2 affected fish. Is there anything else it could be besides Ich, or have I not waited long enough for the spots to drop off the fish??? The 2 affected fish seem fine, eating, swimming, not scratching. Thanks for any help.

If it is ich, give it time. The fact that it hasn't spread means that it is working.

Are these glass fish like this (the variety that are often injected with dye)
or glass cats like this ?

The reason I ask is that the other, less hopeful assessment, is that if it is not ich, it could be Lymphocystis, a viral infection with no real cure. It is common in glassfish (like the first one) due to years of poor captivity conditions for the dyed fish industry. If water conditions are good, they may be able to defeat it. The only treatment that may work is Acriflavin. Are the white spots on the edge of the fins or more randomly distributed?

They are the painted glass fish, I should have done more research before buying them, I had no idea they did that kind of thing to fish. The white spots are randomly distributed, mostly on fins, a few spots on the body. I thought that raising the temp to 88 degrees would speed up the ich cycle and the ich would have fallen off by now. I bought a Python and do 2 - 3 water changes a week, and test water and all is good. It has been 6 days now, how long should I give it before the ich comes off the fish at 88 degrees? Thanks, Blaine

Back
Top Bottom