White spots on fancy's tail.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistolero

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a largish (3 1/2" - 4") Veiltail goldfish. Noticed a couple pimple like white spots in her tail fins yesterday. Noticed a couple more today. They are like I said pimple like not fuzzy at all just little round white spots. They look to me like they are inside the tail flesh, not like a growth of anything on the surface of the fins.

She doesn't act sick at all yet and is eating like a pig as normal. None of the other fish in the tank seem to have anything wrong with them.

My water parameters are running 0/0/10-20 ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. It's a 55 gallon and I've been changing usually 15 gallons at a time twice a week. Lots of growing live plants.

Best I can do with what I have, I know they suck but pics:

Attachments

• flo_spots 001.jpg
    flo_spots 001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 57
  • flo_spots 003.jpg
    flo_spots 003.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 68
  • flo_spots 004.jpg
    flo_spots 004.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 65
  • flo_spots 005.jpg
    flo_spots 005.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 73
Could it be ich?

I was thinking the same thing. I cant tell for sure though from the pics. Do the spots look like salt was sprinkled on her tail or do they have a more 'fuzzy/cottony' appearance? Both situations are treatable. A 3rd possibly is a virus causing the bumps. Viruses are not treatable. Water parameters are great but you have quite an assortment of fish in there for a 55gal-particularly fish that are tropical (cory) mixed with coldwater species (goldfish). Is she or any other fish new? If you have new fish, were they quarantined for a few wks before introducing them? Im trying to rule out something being introduced recently into your tank!

Well at first they were just like smooth pimples but now they are more soft fuzzy looking. Had to take my son to the doctor this afternoon so I am a little behind, I was going to have her out of the tank by now. I've not seen ich before so I'm not sure but I'm leaning toward it.
Plan to move her to a qt.
I have Melafix, Pimafix, Maracyn, Maracyn Two, and Qick-Cure. What should I do?

She is being acclimated to a freshly cleaned 5 gal "hospital" with airstones. After conditioning the water I put 5 drops of Quick cure in it. It is not cycled. I'll do two or three 4 gallon changes a day and medicate the new water.

Qt is a very good idea if possible. Just make sure her water stays perfect even if you have to do daily water changes. Fuzzy-looking growths usually indicate some type of fungus. Fungal treatments are quite harsh though (methylene blue, malachite green are examples) so i am hesitant to recommend them without exactly knowing whats going on! If it were my fish, i would start treatment with salt to see if this has any effect first- it aids in a fishes mucous coat & may be enough to help her fight off whats going on without being harsh. If it is in fact ich, the salt treatment will work as well. If her condition worsens to any degree with salt, then other options will have to be considered. I hope this helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom