White spots on neons tail fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just noticed white spots on one of my neons, ntd or ich? It's schooling, eating and swimming fine.. Any ideas out there?

I'd say ick... But definitely separate that fish to a QT and observe closely. I'd also start the treatment.

Post a picture if you can. I'm not a pro but hopefully other people can share ideas and identify your problem.

How are your water parameters?

You should start to raise the temp your heater is set gradually to about 84 degrees and start doing large water changes every day or two. If your fish are all salt tolerant add a small amount of aquarium salt as well.

You should start to raise the temp your heater is set gradually to about 84 degrees and start doing large water changes every day or two. If your fish are all salt tolerant add a small amount of aquarium salt as well.
As far as salt with Cory's and a small bn Pleco? Quarantine is really not an option, wouldn't the entire tank already be infected?

I have used salt up to 1 tblsn per 5 gal on a b/n catfish. He is 4 inches long though and I tried increasing it in stages.

Doesn't sound like ntd but a photo would be great.

I have used salt up to 1 tblsn per 5 gal on a b/n catfish. He is 4 inches long though and I tried increasing it in stages. Doesn't sound like ntd but a photo would be great.
I'm 99% sure it's ich, makes sense with the new fish added a few days ago. I can't get any useful photos of the neon, just a blur every time.. I'm not about the salt though, I just bought some but I'm apprehensive with the plants and Cory's and bn..

I try to QT the worse fish but sometimes that also doesn't work so well (to hot, mucked up bb).

Temperature alone is meant to cure ich so you could try that. You could try an ich medicine with dosing instructions for loaches, etc.

I've also had the same trouble where young/recent fish just can't cope with a medicine. I half dose and lengthen out the redosing schedule - to date, it seems to help but not kill the fish.

Edit - I should say that is my tank though, would love to hear of other ways/ success.

Last edited:
As of now I am doing just heat, I did buy some aquarium salt just in case, only one infected still, showing no behavioral signs of illness, spots look about the same. Will the high heat have any effects on my bb?

As of now I am doing just heat, I did buy some aquarium salt just in case, only one infected still, showing no behavioral signs of illness, spots look about the same. Will the high heat have any effects on my bb?

I had the tank last Xmas go to ~33C (91F) for about a week while away and had no trouble. It has been up to 28 lately and specs are good.

I have an article somewhere on temps and bb - will find it tonight but from memory I haven't thought high temps for ich treatment to be an issue.

Lol - I can't think in F, my father still knows the conversion to C (almost) and too many fractions were involved.

Got spots on second neon, should I be worried? Temp has been at 86 for 3 days now..

Good news, the second neon has lost its white spot and the first one is looking a little better..

Back
Top Bottom