White spots. Specks even. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1 male Dwarf Gourami. Had him about a week. No I didn't QT. No tank for it. This is a 20g planted. Params are ammonia 0 trites 0 trates 20. I do 50-75% wc weekly. Water temp 75. Other stock 12 neon, 5 zebra danios, 1 clown pleco, 1 assassin snail, 2 ADF. No one else seems to be effected. Never had sick fish and Google pics suck when trying to compare. Any ideas?
yva7ezaz.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i blew the picture up and it looks like ICH to me. Raising the temps up to 86 degrees typically speeds up the cycle of the parasite. 86 is right on the border of preventing the parasite from dividing once it falls off the host and forms a capsule.

When using heat to treat Ich, it's pretty typical to see a sudden increase in visible symptoms as you are speeding the life cycle up. For example...if you gradually raised the temp, the parasite could have fallen off the host, divided ALOT, then reinfected your fish before the temps ever got up to 86. At this point, what you should expect (hope) to see is those spots disappear, and then the lack of a rebound. Suffice to say, it will take more than 3 days to kill the Ich with heat. I'd keep your temps up for at least 2 weeks.

If you don't have any heat-sensitive fish, try raising the temps up just a little higher. IIRC, anything above 88 degrees will actually kill the parasite in the free-swimming stage.

If you don't have any sensitive fish, you could also try adding aquarium salt to the tank at a lower dose (1/2 tsp per gallon is what I've used in the past). It will encourage the fish to develop their slime coat, which assists them in healing and makes them less susceptible to the parasite attaching.

http://viglink.pgpartner.com/mrdr.p...er.com/search.php/form_keyword=airstone&mode=

Thank you! My neons will be ok through this process? Currently raising my temp, I'm at 82 now. I took the pleco back to my lfs. He was just a poop monster :(

Yes. The neons will be fine. I also have neons. You could aerate too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I lowered the water level and I already had a bubbler running. Been doing 50% wc every other day. So, a week from Wednesday I will see how things look. Some of my neons got a a spot or two also.

Yep, it's ich. Since you have tetras just use heat. Tetras do not like salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any more. Giving it till Wednesday though to make it a full two weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom