White streak on platy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a red way platy that has a whiteish streak on its side. There are other platys in the tank. Could it be a heater burn or attack from other fish he is a male there is 1 sunset platy in there that is a male also he is a father of fry :) maybe ich?? Help please!

Attachments

• image-3626994051.jpg
    image-3626994051.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-4132793111.jpg
    image-4132793111.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 77
Also he has been in tank for a week and has been fine he is eating and swimming good too. Just white streak scares me!

Ich looks like salt grains, so that does not look like ich.

When did this happen? Please give your water parameters.
Is he acting strange at all?

gabysapha said:
Ich looks like salt grains, so that does not look like ich.

When did this happen? Please give your water parameters.
Is he acting strange at all?

Ok good not ich :) I was go e yesterday night and came back this morning also his top fin on him is down all the other platy have it up.
PH: 7.3
Chlorine: 0
Don't have anything else to test the water like the nitrates and stuff :(

I would do a water change and then run out and get an API test kit or order one from Amazon. I feel like keeping tanks without a test kit is like keeping tanks in the dark ;) It's an extremely good investment and it's better for the fish. It will tell you how many/how big if water changes you need to do. Until you get one, I would do more water changes.

Is the white mark fuzzy?

Fishie said:
Ok good not ich :) I was go e yesterday night and came back this morning also his top fin on him is down all the other platy have it up.
PH: 7.3
Chlorine: 0
Don't have anything else to test the water like the nitrates and stuff :(

Ya sadly you need a test kit :( i didnt want one at first, but my brother convinced me

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya sadly you need a test kit :( i didnt want one at first, but my brother convinced me

I do need one but I'm tight on money :( how much do they cost? Also it's 78f in tank

I highly recommend you get one. How else can you know what causes trouble in the tank?

They are not very expensive, considering how much we spend on fish food, ornaments, and fish. It is an expensive hobby in my book, but without the proper tools to maintain fish it can be much more expensive when fish perish/medication is needed. Like i said, it's an investment that most on this forum find very important.

You can ask for one for christmas ;)

Otherwise change the water more often. What you are doing may not be enough.

gabysapha said:
I highly recommend you get one. How else can you know what causes trouble in the tank?

They are not very expensive, considering how much we spend on fish food, ornaments, and fish. It is an expensive hobby in my book, but without the proper tools to maintain fish it can be much more expensive when fish perish/medication is needed. Like i said, it's an investment that most on this forum find very important.

You can ask for one for christmas ;)

Otherwise change the water more often. What you are doing may not be enough.

Ok thanks I will get one soon!! Maybe even today just got a check in the mail :D

Fishie said:
Ok thanks I will get one soon!! Maybe even today just got a check in the mail :D

Take a sample into you LFS and get them to check it. Better than nothing and at least you will have more of an idea what's going on. You keep buying fish and having problems. If you don't know what's going on in your tank you shouldn't be buying them.

Mumma.of.two said:
Take a sample into you LFS and get them to check it. Better than nothing and at least you will have more of an idea what's going on. You keep buying fish and having problems. If you don't know what's going on in your tank you shouldn't be buying them.

I didn't buy anymore and I returned some.

Fishie said:
I didn't buy anymore and I returned some.

I'm not trying to be offensive but I see you replying to free fish adds and wanting to buy more tanks. I know money can be tight (I can't can't afford a proper filter for my goldfish until after Xmas, doing 4-5 50% PWC a week) but you need to get a test kit. They are all of about $18-$20 online. Set your priorities; for your fish.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm not trying to be offensive but I see you replying to free fish adds and wanting to buy more tanks. I know money can be tight (I can't can't afford a proper filter for my goldfish until after Xmas, doing 4-5 50% PWC a week) but you need to get a test kit. They are all of about $18-$20 online. Set your priorities; for your fish.

Oh I shall set priorities for my fish!

She died from whatever it was and got it on his other side :(

Mumma.of.two said:

I just got a test kit!! For 35$ :( but I still got one got some prime too and some cure stuff :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Yay!!! Woo hoo! Have you tested yet? What cure stuff did you get?

Nitrates, nitrites . Ph, ammonia and chlorine thing. I put some prime in before just in case and everything is good :D ph is at 7.2. Some weird thing to cure ich and other stuff hard name . (Dont have it with me)

Fishie said:
Nitrates, nitrites . Ph, ammonia and chlorine thing. I put some prime in before just in case and everything is good :D ph is at 7.2. Some weird thing to cure ich and other stuff hard name . (Dont have it with me)

No need for ich medication. You can cure it with heat and salt. What where your readings?

Back
Top Bottom