White stringy goldfish poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello there aquarists,

I was reading around and came across a thread about goldfish having internal parasites based on their poo. My goldfish have been having the same type of poop lately and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions or help or advice. It looks clear and stringy and in between normal poops. Almost like they swallowed some air while eating and that's what's coming out. Does this sound like a parasite or some sort of sickness? If so what food or medicine should I use? I have noticed this for a little while but just thought that it was air they swallowed from swimming through their bubble wall or coming up to the top of the tank. I will be moving this week and finally getting them into a bigger tank! They are in a 15 gallon now and going into a 40 this weekend. I have two fantails and one telescope eye. I do water changes every week and have two aqua clear 50s running. My water always seems fine when I get it tested. Please any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi Lexie! Before even considering a parasite issue, lets look at what they are eating (or not eating). What do you normally feed them (brand/type food, other foods)? How often? What type of substrate do you have? Any live plants? How long have you had them and how long has this been occurring?

Hi Lexie! Before even considering a parasite issue, lets look at what they are eating (or not eating). What do you normally feed them (brand/type food, other foods)? How often? What type of substrate do you have? Any live plants? How long have you had them and how long has this been occurring?

I am feeding them repashy Soilent green and new life spectrum sinking pellets twice a day in the morning and late at night. also every few days frozen blood worms from hikari. They also get lots of veggies. their favorites so far are carrots, broccoli, and spinach. They have a bare bottom tank and I keep some of those glass beads in it just for decoration. But it's currently just bare at the moment. They have an air stone as well. I used to have a few live plants in there in little glass vases with regular aquarium gravel but took those out. It's been about a month I would say that the poo has been funny but I didn't think anything of it until I came across a thread. They all have been swimming around fine and acting normally. I have had the two fantails since the beginning of August I believe and I got the telescope about a month or so after the fantails.

Thank you! Your doing a great job feeding them a healthy diet! You mentioned you will notice the odd poop in between 'normal' poop. Is their normal poop big firm strands that reflect what they are eating (ie, green when they have lots of veggies, brown from pellets, etc)? Are they all eating with gusto and 'cleaning their plate' so to speak?

Thank you! Your doing a great job feeding them a healthy diet! You mentioned you will notice the odd poop in between 'normal' poop. Is their normal poop big firm strands that reflect what they are eating (ie, green when they have lots of veggies, brown from pellets, etc)? Are they all eating with gusto and 'cleaning their plate' so to speak?

Exactly! When it's normal it's big and the color of what they have eaten. And they do not miss a meal! They usually watch me in the morning and swim up to the top and spit the water and then give me this intent stare and open their mouths before they eat telling me they are hungry. I try to feed them the better stuff than the junky stuff. So any recommendations for good quality food would be welcomed as well!

Your feeding them a quality diet right now so I would not worry about about this. I honestly dont believe they have a parsite issue. Not that I am ruling one out 100% but parsite laden fish will have obvious symptoms such as no interest in food, sunken/bloated sides, odd behavior and will appear generally unwell in addition to odd poop. Stress can cause odd poop and its possible they are just a bit stressed from their small tank which I know your upgrading.

If possible, I would try to spread their meals out over the course of day rather 2 big meals and offer them more daily veggies so they always have something to pick at. Goldies do not have 'true' stomachs to store food so their digestive tracks are in motion 24/7. When they are empty, whatever little bits of food are coming out combined digestive secretions & sloughed off intestinal cells so it can appear a bit odd. Lets see if just changing up the way you feed & increasing their veggies makes any difference before considering if treatment is really necessary. If at any point you do notice a change in behavior/appetite, definitely let us know!

Your feeding them a quality diet right now so I would not worry about about this. I honestly dont believe they have a parsite issue. Not that I am ruling one out 100% but parsite laden fish will have obvious symptoms such as no interest in food, sunken/bloated sides, odd behavior and will appear generally unwell in addition to odd poop. Stress can cause odd poop and its possible they are just a bit stressed from their small tank which I know your upgrading.

If possible, I would try to spread their meals out over the course of day rather 2 big meals and offer them more daily veggies so they always have something to pick at. Goldies do not have 'true' stomachs to store food so their digestive tracks are in motion 24/7. When they are empty, whatever little bits of food are coming out combined digestive secretions & sloughed off intestinal cells so it can appear a bit odd. Lets see if just changing up the way you feed & increasing their veggies makes any difference before considering if treatment is really necessary. If at any point you do notice a change in behavior/appetite, definitely let us know!

Will do thanks! So here's a new question. When I feed them the veggies they are so messy and the little bits that they tear off get sucked into the filter and clog the intake hose. I don't know if it would be safe to turn off the filter? Or maybe put something over the hose? Any suggestions?

I use two things to cover my intakes depending on if I want to just keep large pieces of debris out (piece of pantyhose) or if I want to keep large debris and fish/small creatures out and from sucked onto the intake tube (piece of filter foam/sponge tied or placed over the end). Using the sponge/foam will slightly reduce filter flow but it prevents small things from being sucked onto/into the intake tube and the impeller. Either works but you do need to make an effort to clean the bottom of the intake tube (where the pantyhose or sponge is) because debris builds up pretty quickly and will slow/stop the water flow if its not kept reasonably clean. I usually have to check them every other day with my piggies. :)

I use two things to cover my intakes depending on if I want to just keep large pieces of debris out (piece of pantyhose) or if I want to keep large debris and fish/small creatures out and from sucked onto the intake tube (piece of filter foam/sponge tied or placed over the end). Using the sponge/foam will slightly reduce filter flow but it prevents small things from being sucked onto/into the intake tube and the impeller. Either works but you do need to make an effort to clean the bottom of the intake tube (where the pantyhose or sponge is) because debris builds up pretty quickly and will slow/stop the water flow if its not kept reasonably clean. I usually have to check them every other day with my piggies. :)

Thanks!! I do clean them out when I do water changes but its like as soon as I clean them and feed them veggies they get clogged again and it's a hassle to have to dismantle the whole filter. Thanks!

When you move them to a bigger tank, it shouldnt be as big of an issue but with messy fish, lots of maintenance is a must. Its really impossible to avoid. In a small volume of water though with piggie fish, things get dirty very quickly! :)

When you move them to a bigger tank, it shouldnt be as big of an issue but with messy fish, lots of maintenance is a must. Its really impossible to avoid. In a small volume of water though with piggie fish, things get dirty very quickly! :)

I know lol I am super picky about it being dirty too. I just don't think it's very healthy for the fish at all and I really don't like seeing all the gunk and poo when I'm watching my fish :)

Back
Top Bottom