white stringy poo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a dwarf blue flame gourami that has what I think looks like a long stringy white poo hanging on him that's been there for the last 2 days or so and he has been hiding in his cave when normally he's out swimming in the front of the glass. what could this be ?

Constipation? Try cooked peas with the hard outer shell removed. But I am not an expert, but it sounds similar to something that happened to my fish once.

Could be constipation or an internal parasite. Better to maybe fast him for a day or two and then try feeding the deshelled, thawed, unsalted frozen pea. If it doesn't get better after that you may need to isolate it and treat him with parasite meds.

I fed him a pea he ate a few bites and spit it out, i dont think he liked it that much lol.

I fed him a pea he ate a few bites and spit it out, i dont think he liked it that much lol.

lol I wouldn't feed him for a couple of days, let his digestion calm down and if he's constipated that will help. Then after two days of not eating try the pea again; if he still won't eat it then try some small amount of food. What do you usually feed him? Some food types are more prone to cause bloat/digestion issues.

If he isn't better after fasting then we'll have to look at other causes.

lol I wouldn't feed him for a couple of days, let his digestion calm down and if he's constipated that will help. Then after two days of not eating try the pea again; if he still won't eat it then try some small amount of food. What do you usually feed him? Some food types are more prone to cause bloat/digestion issues.

If he isn't better after fasting then we'll have to look at other causes.

I feed them frozen brine shrimp, flakes, and sometimes they'll eat my sinking cichlids pellets from NLf or something? freeze dried bloodworms(occasionally) and freeze dried brine shrimp but not often

e85vzd.png

horrible picture but maybe you can get a good idea..... what should i do? i dont have a qt tank even though im tempted to get a small 10 gal and making it a qt... what should i do? i tried the pea thing and i tried fasting them for 2 days. he seems healthy hes hiding most the time which is unlike him, he usually swimming in the front of the tank trying to impress me (atleast thats what i think ) he does come to the top if i open the lid to the tank like im gonna feed them lol. i tried the pea he ate maybe one bite, and he didnt really like it

Hm I really have no idea. Hopefully someone else can answer. I'd hate to suggest meds if they aren't needed but if you fasted him for 2-3 days he should theoretically be better by now if it was just constipation. Are any other fish showing signs?

I'd remove the stringy poo b/c if it is a parasite it could hold spores which could infect the rest of the tank as well. It wouldn't hurt to QT him and get two meds: one is Jungle Parasite Clear (they are fizz tabs that go into the water) and the other is a Jungle brand medicated parasite food. Feeding him the food exclusively (you might need to dip it in garlic or something to get him to eat it) and using the tabs in the water should kill internal and external parasites if there are any. I wouldn't dose the whole tank yet unless other fish are showing signs b/c the meds might destroy your beneficial bacteria.

Hm I really have no idea. Hopefully someone else can answer. I'd hate to suggest meds if they aren't needed but if you fasted him for 2-3 days he should theoretically be better by now if it was just constipation. Are any other fish showing signs?

I'd remove the stringy poo b/c if it is a parasite it could hold spores which could infect the rest of the tank as well. It wouldn't hurt to QT him and get two meds: one is Jungle Parasite Clear (they are fizz tabs that go into the water) and the other is a Jungle brand medicated parasite food. Feeding him the food exclusively (you might need to dip it in garlic or something to get him to eat it) and using the tabs in the water should kill internal and external parasites if there are any. I wouldn't dose the whole tank yet unless other fish are showing signs b/c the meds might destroy your beneficial bacteria.

yeah today is the day i do my pwc anyway so i will do a 50% and see if i can find any poo there.. he seems a little bloated? i dont have a qt tank yet :[

From what i have been told/read you can make almost any food grade container into a QT tank, it doesn't have to be an aquarium. but if you dont have the extra parts you would have to pick them up. just a filter and heater prob. as long as they have a good light source too.

From what i have been told/read you can make almost any food grade container into a QT tank, it doesn't have to be an aquarium. but if you dont have the extra parts you would have to pick them up. just a filter and heater prob. as long as they have a good light source too.

How small an it be??? I live in texas and heaters arent really necessary the temp of the water always stays 77-80 degrees. there is a heater in the 20 gallon that hes in, food grade container hmmm..... i do have an extra filter for a 10gallon tank.... im really considering getting a 10gallon tank since petco has the 1$ Gallon sale, and just having that as a backup qt tank...

How small an it be??? I live in texas and heaters arent really necessary the temp of the water always stays 77-80 degrees. there is a heater in the 20 gallon that hes in, food grade container hmmm..... i do have an extra filter for a 10gallon tank.... im really considering getting a 10gallon tank since petco has the 1$ Gallon sale, and just having that as a backup qt tank...

Well not a lunch container obviously that would be too small lol Some use Rubbermaid buckets that are supposedly safe but I'm not sure. A 10 gal tank itself isn't too expensive and you don't need a heater apparently and you already have an extra filter. The light isn't really needed, lights tend to stress sick fish more anyway, and you can always use room light or a lamp or flashlight to look at him when you need to. The meds aren't that expensive either.

I hope your fish gets better.

Well not a lunch container obviously that would be too small lol Some use Rubbermaid buckets that are supposedly safe but I'm not sure. A 10 gal tank itself isn't too expensive and you don't need a heater apparently and you already have an extra filter. The light isn't really needed, lights tend to stress sick fish more anyway, and you can always use room light or a lamp or flashlight to look at him when you need to. The meds aren't that expensive either.

I hope your fish gets better.

alright so i had a cycled 5 gallon that has been empty for a while weve been waiting for our lfs to get a dwarf puffers.... soooo i bought a 10 gallon and were gonna move the 5 gallon filter heater etc (all rated for a 20 gal tank btw) into the 10 gallon and use the 5 gallon as a quarintine tank. so it worked out!!!

Back
Top Bottom