White stringy poo for goodfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I've noticed my goldfish has white stringy poo. After looking at previious posts, I'm guessing its an internal parasite? I change my water bi-weekly for my gf, and ammonia n nitrites are at 0. Could it be I'm overfeeding him? He also poos normally (I think) - dark chunks. But he also poos sometimes with an orange colour, similiarly to his skin, just a fair bit whiter. Not much, but it does come out.

My other gf seems ok. It's poo is meant to be a dark brown black isn't it?
They have a tiny bit of green to them. Is that ok?

Btw, I don't live in the states but live in Australia. I can't get access to most of the meds available to you. I was wondering if any1 recognised any of these meds and could advise one for my prob:

Waterlife Sterazin
Waterlife Protozin
Waterlife Myxazin
Aquarium Science White Spot Remedy (3 Day)
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Melafix
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Bettafix Remedy
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Pimafix
Aquasonic Aquarium Salt
Aquasonic Formalin Solution
Aquasonic Formalin Malachite Solution
Aquasonic Methylene Blue Solution
Aquasonic Bactonex
Aquasonic Ichonex
Aquasonic Fungonex
Aqua Master Rapid White Spot Remedy
Aqua Master Multi Cure
Aqua Master Methylene Blue
Aqua Master Fluke & Tapeworm Tablets
Aqua Master Aquari-Cycline
Aqua Master Para-Cide
Wardley Promethyasul
Wardley Triple-SulphaTablets

They are the ones my supplier (http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/) stocks.

Cheers

I recognize the Wardley brand name, but that's about it. I checked out your thread because I'm having some similar symptoms in one of my own tanks. I'm also looking for suggestions, and am a beginner at this. For my fish, I got an anti-parasite medicated fish food. I'm not sure how well it's going to work...the food is in pellet form, and they're used to flakes. I gave them some of the medicated food last night, and they seemed to have a hard time trying to eat it, I think it's just too hard for them or something. Maybe soaking it first next time will help?
Best of luck with your own fish!

Could be camallanus, an intestinal worm. It will often cause the stringy white poop, and will slowly kill its host. Heres a link: http://www.thekrib.com/Diseases/nematodes.html#3
Clicky #6 for one treatment option. Levamisole isn't readily available in the US but I've heard of people finding it in Australia. Try farm supply or vet supply stores. It's a cattle and pig (and fish) wormer.
But first, try feeding him more veggies. He could be getting backed up inside.
Oh, and Kari, if you can have the Jungle anti-parasite food (which does contain levamisole), crush it to feed to smaller fish. Soaking it would suck out all the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom