White Stringy Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to try one of these products, go ahead. I honestly dont think they do anything more than what healthy water & some salt can offer but this is just my opinion. If you want to try some meds, look for Maracyn Plus. If they dont have this, Maracyn 2 (not regular maracyn). If these are not available,triple sulfa or furan 2 are two other options. If you decide to euthanize, theres a sticky at the top of this section with information. Let us know what happens!

Last edited:
May piece be with him. That article to euthanizing a fish was good. I have already done it the most humane way and it taught me that sometimes putting the fish down is the beat thing for owner and fish.

jlk said:
I am so sorry :(

Me to but sometimes its better for the fish. It sometimes seems like it stresses out the fish in the tank to.

Thanks for all you help though. I am hopeful I wont need to contact you for sick fish. (Fingers crossed) but I really appreciate all your help and will contact you in the future. Maybe we could share tank pics.

I wish I could have helped more but we are limited in what we can realistically do without the aid of an aquatic vet and I know thats out of the budget for most of us (me included). Good luck with the rest of your guys!! :)

jlk said:
I wish I could have helped more but we are limited in what we can realistically do without the aid of an aquatic vet and I know thats out of the budget for most of us (me included). Good luck with the rest of your guys!! :)

This is very true. Alot of the times I see the cure being only something an aquatic vet could do. I don't even know if I could locate one. I was glad I could rid my tank of calamanus worms. Thanks and good luck to you as well!!

Lifeoffroad said:
This is very true. Alot of the times I see the cure being only something an aquatic vet could do. I don't even know if I could locate one. I was glad I could rid my tank of calamanus worms. Thanks and good luck to you as well!!

I didn't even know you got such a thing as an aquatic vet?

Meesha said:
I didn't even know you got such a thing as an aquatic vet?

Only one I've seen was at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific. They work behind glass. Pretty cool.

Alot of the vet schools/universities have them. In the Philly suburbs, there are only two aquatic vets for all of SE Pennsylvania/tri-state area (beyond U of PA) that I know of- one actually makes house calls!

jlk said:
Alot of the vet schools/universities have them. In the Philly suburbs, there are only two aquatic vets for all of SE Pennsylvania/tri-state area (beyond U of PA) that I know of- one actually makes house calls!

That's sweet! Wish I could get house calls. I just wish I could identify and treat illness better. There so much on the internet it almost makes it harder. To much contradiction.

So I hope someone sees this so I don't have to start a new post. I still have some white long stringy poop. I can't believe it is a parasite as I haven't seen it for some time and nobody appears to be ill.

Here are some pics. What's the best food meds to get?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120527_071348.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_071348.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20120527_071411.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_071411.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 60
  • ForumRunner_20120527_071433.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120527_071433.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 63
Hi! I doubt you will find much at your lfs but you can try. Jungle makes an anti-parasite medicated food (petsmart). If you have no luck, Angelsplus sells good quality medicated foods.

Aquarium Supplies

jlk said:
Hi! I doubt you will find much at your lfs but you can try. Jungle makes an anti-parasite medicated food (petsmart). If you have no luck, Angelsplus sells good quality medicated foods.

Aquarium Supplies

Do you think that looks like parasites or just a diet issue?

Any suggestions on what food to get?

I dont remember exactly what you have used to treat your guys but I remember you did prazi. What else did you try?

jlk said:
I dont remember exactly what you have used to treat your guys but I remember you did prazi. What else did you try?

That's it. It seemed to come and go so I thought there wasn't an issue.

Hmm.... see first if you can find the Jungle anti-parasite food. It has metro, prazi & levamisole. The problem is, I believe this product has been discontinued but may still be in some petsmarts. For the med flakes, you can get a small thing of metro flakes & fenben flakes. You have already tried prazi & I dont think the levamisole flakes will be necessary (but i may be wrong). If after trying this route theres no change, then you may need to address their diet.

jlk said:
Hmm.... see first if you can find the Jungle anti-parasite food. It has metro, prazi & levamisole. The problem is, I believe this product has been discontinued but may still be in some petsmarts. For the med flakes, you can get a small thing of metro flakes & fenben flakes. You have already tried prazi & I dont think the levamisole flakes will be necessary (but i may be wrong). If after trying this route theres no change, then you may need to address their diet.

Yeah I have pure levamisole and I did put a pinch of that in a while back. My understanding of that medication is it will only treat nematodes or worms. I could be totally wrong I don't know. The Petsmarts here in CA do not sell any medicated food. Nor does PETCO. I will check my LFS they do have a lot of medicated items. I think its diet but I guess you just can't tell ( unless I had a microscope and then knew what to look for) they have been on a diet of frozen brine shrimp and flake food. I think if I didn't give them vitamins once a week they would show something more but (knock on wood) they are pretty strong fish.

Back
Top Bottom