White stringy poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got 3 platies a week ago, and they are currently kept in my 10 gallon/ 41 liter QT tank. Every once in a while at least one of them seems to be having some white, stringy poop, even tho most of the time the poop looks normal. I read that might be a sign of intestinal flagellates. Should I just keep feeding them varied, vitamin rich food, like a couple of books suggest, or get some antibiotics (I can get antibiotics quite easily for professional reasons)? I've been feeding them a varied diet for the week I've had them, including mixed flakes, granules, veggie tablets, freeze dried tubifex, and so on.

Thin white poop in goldies is usually caused by internal infection but I don't know if this extends to other species.

I had this problem a few times. I get conflicting advice from the LFSs around here. I don't know. When it happens, I go back to feeding them their good ol' basic flake food, and their poop is normal again. I'd like to hear what others have to say too.

I'd hate to treat with antibiotics for no good reason - you kill your good bacteria, & end up with antibiotic resistant bugs.

In my goldies, whenever I feed them zuchinnis, they get thin white poop. I was worried at first, but since they are acting fine, I just left them & the poop is back to normal next day.

My tetras had the same problem until i started feeding them live brine shrimp, once each week. A month after i stopped beacause of all the risk that involves (diseases) but since then i havent even catched em pooping no more.

Thanks, guys :). I'll keep on eye on them and stick to basic food for now. They seem pretty good, otherwise.

Fishy poop will change color and consistency depending on what you feed them. If different stuff goes in one end, different stuff comes out the other end. Unless you see other signs of disease, changes in behaviour or appearance, I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's probably just the different foods, which is actually good for them.

Thanks, that's good to hear :). I'm just like an overprotective mommy when it comes to my fish, observing any signs of possible disease obsessively :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom