White Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
I literally JUST saw this white stuff on my black molly. He didn't have it yesterday so this is brand new. It's on his head/eye/mouth. I can't really explain it other than a white thing on him.

Can you possibly throw up a picture?

Is it kind of fuzzy or is it flat?

I literally JUST saw this white stuff on my black molly. He didn't have it yesterday so this is brand new. It's on his head/eye/mouth. I can't really explain it other than a white thing on him.

It would be so hard to get a picture of it I don't think it would be seen. It's kind of like a couple of little bumps/bumpy things. He's also hiding under a piece of wood right now

It looks like small specs that are attached to him? More than likely it'll be ick. Have you added any fish lately? Done proper tank maintainence? Proper water quality?

Added two pepper coires about a week ago or so. Water change was last done on Sunday. Was planning on doing another one on the weekend as well.

The water parameters were a little weird on the weekend before the water change and have yet to test them again. My main concern was that I thought PH was at like 5.5 but I tested again later that day and it was 7.0. I think I just tested it wrong. Anyways, my main focus was on the PH so I didn't test the others. Other readings during the day was Ammonia: Next to nothing, Nitrite: <0.1 and Nitrates were up to 20 unfortunately.

Water parameters can have a big affect on the conditions of fish. Ick is mostly cause by stress from a fish. When they're stressed they're not as strong against fighting diseases. Also if the cories were in a tank with other fish from ick, they could have been carrying it. I'm not sure that is the case since you didn't notice it on them. Ick free floats in your water (everyone can have this happen even if they have the same fish for years..it's just in the water) until it finds a host to attach to. If the fish is happy and strong than it is less likely to get it unless another fish in the same tank does happen to develop it. The ick stays under the clear coat so it is basically impossible to remove at this point. The best thing to do is to add salt and increase the temperature to around 83 to speed up the process. The time will vary, but once you notice the ick disappearing on the fish is when you need to start treatment. At this point the ick that was on the fish has reproduced and died off and the new ick is floating around trying to find something to attach to that it can live off of. This is the stage that the ick is suseptable to treatment. It takes a little time. You can do more research on it to find out how to treat it. Most places carry drops or tablets. I've always had great success from AP Quikcure drops. BEFORE you decide to treat it. Take time to do some more research to make sure it is ick. If you can get a picture of it on your fish posted here on the forum then that'd be a great way to find out. If not, try to find pics online that match what your fish's symtoms are. Good luck..Let us know

From looking at pictures of Ick, I don't think that's what it is. Ick looks more like grains of sand all over the body of a fish. I'm going to try and get a picture now.

Hey you taught me something! lol. Pictures will be added very soon. Just gotta get them on the computer. So hard to get them! and it doesn't look as "good" as it does as if you could actually see him.

Not the greatest pictures but the best I could get

Attachments

• P1000602.jpg
    P1000602.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P1000604.jpg
    P1000604.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 76
  • P1000609.jpg
    P1000609.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000610.jpg
    P1000610.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 74
And one more that I got

Attachments

• P1000611.jpg
    P1000611.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 53
UGH! Well some good news is that the white stuff is starting to disappear. It's not nearly as noticeable and he isn't as lethargic as before.

On another note my parameters are out of whack.
Ammonia:0.6
Nitrite: 0.8
Nitrate: 20

This is after about a 25-30% water change yesterday. After getting those readings I did another water change of the same amount about 10 minutes ago.

How old is the tank? Could you still be cycling a litte bit which is why your ammonia and nitrite are visible? Also when you do water changes are you doing anything else like rinsing the filter media in the filters?

Not too long ago I got out of my cycled tank because I changed filter media and about a 50% water change. Didn't realize at the time that I killed all of my bacteria. After that happened I've been trying to get back to normal which i achieved about 2 weeks ago. Tank has been set up since August.

Then it seemed like randomly my tank decided to f me over again by screwing up everything and now the parameters is at what it is right now. Basically I'm just doing water changes now. Everyday for the past two days so far. 20-30%.

Try doing a 50% W/C every other day its better for your fish. One of my mollys had gotten that white stuff too. All i ever did was W/C.

Yep lots of clean water can cure a LOT of diseases since it is stress that knocks their immune system down, fresh water boosts is back up and helps them kick it....brought discus back from the brink after horrible shipping incidents with twice daily water changes...they had bad ammonia burns and fin rot when they arrived they were black and laying on the bottom....kept at the water changes and they came back within a few days. Clean water is amazing!

I have done regular water changes and my parameters are normal but the white stuff/growth/fungus(?) keeps coming and going. But ONLY on my black molly.

Just noticed it was back again today. Bit covering his eye making it look cloudy, another small spot just at the tip between his body and his dorsal fin and it looks like his anal fin has some on it.

Back
Top Bottom