White stuff on tetras tail :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, while doing a water change I've just noticed that some of my blue tetras have got White stuff on the base of their tails. It doesn't look fuzzy and I don't think it's loss of colour, but I could be wrong. I can't get a photo because they move too quick for my camera, but hopefully someone will recognise that and be able to help :) their behaviour doesn't seem to have changed, but I am worried :( please help!

Does it look like little pieces of salt? Or just discoloration? If it looks like salt I would think ich, but if it's just discoloration I would possibly think it's from your fish sitting next to the heater for to long

TraceyB4602 said:
Does it look like little pieces of salt? Or just discoloration? If it looks like salt I would think ich, but if it's just discoloration I would possibly think it's from your fish sitting next to the heater for to long

It's not ich. It doesn't look like it's just discoloured either. It looks like it's on their skin rather than in their skin (if that makes any sense at all ;) ) it's kind of like a saddle over the very base of their tail, where it joins the body. They don't seem to ever go near the heater, and because of that an the positioning I wouldn't have thought it was re heater causing it.

Just had a tetra die :( my water params are:
Ph-7.6
High range ph- 7.4 (why do they never match up?!)
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5.

I had two fatter tetras and two thinner ones. It's one of the skinnies that's died.
The White patch on the other skinny does seem to be growing slightly, and the patches are starting to look slightly fuzzy, and kinda soft. All the other fish seem to be fine. One of my female guppies is being more aggressive than normal, but she seems to go through phases so I don't think it's related.
Sorry to revive the thread again but I'm worried :/

TraceyB4602 said:
It seems like a fungus. Go to your lfs and get some primafix (spelling not sure) that should help with fungus

Ok, I will do that tomorrow. Thankyou :) do you know if that is ok to use with corys, ottos, and guppies too?

Back
Top Bottom