whitespot issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightym06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

basically ive set up a new 60 litre tank (its not my first), left it 2 weeks before introducing 4 black phantom tetras and a plec. The day after the plec appears to have developed whitespot, I know it can be stress related so I assumed that moving tanks was the cause.

Ive dosed with a whitespot treatment and removed the carbon filters, however water has gone quite cloudy, ive checked PH, carbonate, Hardness and nitrate and everythings ok. Fish seem fine but im unsure if I should be concerened as Ive got another dose to do?

cheers,

Mark

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish? What are your ammonia and nitrite levels? What temperature is the tank at?

Your tank isn't cycled; nitrate would register if it had. You're cycling with fish, and stressing them with ammonia and possibly nitrite in the water along with the move, which is why you now have ich/whitespot. You need a liquid reagent test kit, not strips, plenty of dechlorinator, and plenty of time and patience.

Start NOW with a 50% water change and begin slowly raising temperature to kill the parasite, 1-2 degrees every 8-10 hours. If you moved the fish from another tank of yours, assume both tanks are infested. The water temp required is fairly high, 85* or so Fahrenheit, but I can't remember precisely-- if you search here on the boards you'll find it.

You'll need to perform water changes as often as necessary to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25ppm. This could mean twice daily. If you have access to used filter media or substrate from a healthy, cycled, established tank, putting it in the new tank will help immensely with speeding the cycle along. (You can put the substrate or gravel in an unwashed, unworn foot of pantyhose if you don't want it in your tank long-term. The filter media can just sit in the tank if you don't have room for it as well as the new filter media in your filter housing.)

Good luck-- in the Articles section there's a good page on cycling with fish.

I don't understand? I set up another tank as ive done this one and had no issues and this is how ive been told to do it. Ive followed all the recommended procedures using plenty of de chlorinater and a full dose of filter start to build up the bacteria.

Treatment is working as the spots are fading and my tetras have never showed any signs of illness.

If you have some spare time and want to learn whats going on in your aquarium I'd suggest reading up on the ammonia/nitrogen cycle.

Nitrates are not that toxic, but ammonia is, so if you don't have a test kit for ammonia I'd suggest investing in one.

Back
Top Bottom