Whitish gel on Julii Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).*

It's a juvenile julii cory. I have had it in my tank for at least 3 months. It is still active. It looked fine yesterday but I noticed when I got home that the cory has a gel like whitish/greyish slimy bubble on its body close to its head. I caught the fish and put it in a 5 gal quarantine with a sponge filter I keep in my filtration system. The spot is hard to photograph but I will keep trying. It may be too early to tell but it doesn't really seem to present as white fuzz which is what I am told Ich and columnaris looks like.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.*
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?*
Tank is 29 gallons been running for 3 years. I moved this summer but it was only 15 minutes away. So it has been established for a long time.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.*
I overfilter. Aquaclear 70. Not sure gph.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?*
9 harlequin rasboras fully grown. Had since first put fish in the tank. 1 adult julii cory. 2 juvenile julli cories. 3 otos. A few mylasian trumpet snails.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?*
Yesterday I did a water change. I came home to a decent amount of evaportion because of a 2 weeks vacation. I had someone feed them every other day. It looks like my light programming may have been faulty so the lights may have been on for those two weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?*
3 months. Around the same time I got a flame gourami. Both were quarantined together for 2 weeks before going into the main tank. I always drip acclimate my fish. The gourami was swimming around fine until about a month and a half ago. I turned on my tank to see it randomly passed. No viable reason why.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
No.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?*
Omega small food pellets and nutri something flake. I will also drop an algae tab in once a week and give some freeze dried blood worms from omega once a week.

Fungus will look fuzzy and usually occurs on an injury or dead tissue.
Ich looks like your fish is sprinkled with salt .
Columnaris can have many different looks and even no look at all.
White patches are often a form of columnaris..There are at least 4 recognized strains of columnaris.
This is a good description of most columnaris.
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A2KLf...689.html/RK=0/RS=tPmcMivhc1PmsBXmCV9G7I74L5U-

Thank you coralbandit. Are cories sensitive to salt? I think I remember reading that somewhere. I have some of that on hand. I will have to see if I have Furan.

Back
Top Bottom