Who eats fins of my rosy barb???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've noticed that my rosy barb lost almost all of its fins within last three days. I currently have three gouramis, bolivian ram, and two small crabs. The crabs were my latest addition (about 10 days ago), but I cannot believe they would do that since they stay at the bottom all the time and the bard stays closer to the top even at night. All other fish have no problems with fins.

Do the crabs have any way of climbing to the upper levels of the tank? Have you checked on the fish at 3 am? I have a feeling, either the barbs are sleeping near the bottom, or the crabs are getting to them another way. Try removing the crabs and see if that solves the problem.

I cast my vote for the crabs as well. Although I wouldn't rule out the gouramis. They sometimes will find the fins of fish very appetizing.

I won't rule out the gouramis either, but the crabs are the newest addition. Was this a problem before the crabs were added? How long has the gouramis and barbs been in the tank together?

I wouldn't rule out a case of fin rot either - the first time I had a fish with fin rot I thought it was getting nipped by its tankmates, but it turned out to be disease.

In any case, with the fins damaged you probably should treat with some melafix or other anti-bacterial meds so that it can heal.

Was this a problem before the crabs were added? How long has the gouramis and barbs been in the tank together?
A barb was introduced to the tank several days before I bought crabs. Fin cuts appear to look more like straight line, not like bites.

I wouldn't rule out a case of fin rot either - the first time I had a fish with fin rot I thought it was getting nipped by its tankmates, but it turned out to be disease.
I thought about it because it looked as that fish had fin rot when I bought it. But, can it deteriorate that much over two just days?

Fin rot can rapidly take over. QT the barbs and treat with Melafix. Do not treat the tank with Melafix; the gouramis should not be exposed to it. Google pics of fin rot, and look at the degradation area of other fishes' fins and compare them to the barbs.

i had guppies at one time in my 10 tank and thought it was them nipping at each other then found out it was fin rot

After reviewing all information available I came to the conclusion that that was really fin rot. Thank you all for help!

newhobbist said:
I thought about it because it looked as that fish had fin rot when I bought it. But, can it deteriorate that much over two just days?
I bought an otto once - 3 days after getting it home I noticed a little damage to its tail. The next day half its tail was gone, and the day after that it was dead with pretty much no tail left. At first I assumed, like you did, that something was nipping at it. I had no idea what fin rot was at the time, but I figured it out after that :(

Hopefully you have better luck with your case.

Back
Top Bottom