Why are my fish at bottom of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonspoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20171022_133458.jpg20171022_133530.jpg

Hello all i was after some help on my tank. For the last week my fish have been having times at the bottom of the tank. I have changed the water several times and tested my water. Gh is about 30-60 kh is 0-40 PH IS 6.5 NO2 IS 0 NO3 IS 0-20
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Those strip tests I found pretty unreliable and don't include ammonia. I'd ask the store to check ammonia and ph.

What fish list do you have for tank?

Hey the fish are 1 black moor and 4 shubunkins. Im awear rhey have out grown that tank but untill i can afford a new one this will have to do. I have 2 filters (1 sponge filter for a much bigger tank) and do regular water changes. The guy from the aquarium said thays fine. And up untill last week they were happy

Hi, thanks for info.

Any improvement after changing water (I assume water is higher ph)? And I assume nothing else changed in tank or any temperature increase?

I’d ask the store to check those ph and ammonia readings still. But with a more accurate solution/vial test kit. To check ph hasn’t crashed to say 6.

Could you be a bit more specific? Api makes a lot of products
If it's stress zyme it's just live bacteria
If it's tap water conditioner I lts not very good, I would suggest getting seachem Prime, and an api master liquid freshwater test kit, the thing is with what you posted there's no real number as you've stated 0-? On many of them, ammonia/ nitrite should always be zero, ph varies but you want a stable pH as most fish (NOT ALL) will acclimate to it, but a pH drop will kill them, as for gh/kh this will not make your fish stay at the bottom gh is what makes your pH not crash unless you have very soft water, yes gh (calcium) is important for the fish as some fish are hard water some fish are soft water, but again it won't make your fish stay at the bottom, nitrate should be between 5-40ppm most say 5-20 but I've had my nitrate as high as 100 without deaths (no this doesn't mean it's okay).

If you're dying water changes every day I would recommend you to not do that, with those fish and that size Tank i would do 2 30% a week unless you get a bad result on ammonia /nitrite then I would do one immidiately .

Is your light extremely bright if so this could be causing them to stay at the bottom.. Do they come up when you have the lights off??

The most important test is not on that strip test kit you have and that is ammonia, and also the strips are very inaccurate as previously mentioned, your pH from that strip looks about a 7.0, nitrate looks about 10-15, nitrite looks to be at zero, how long has this tank been set up?

Api tap water conditioner super strength. The light is the same one they have had since we got thwm as babys. I said 0- what ever as the strip was hard to tell exactly what it was up to. And i am awear the strips arnt the best but when funds are low got to make do with what you got. Will be getting the master kit when i have money for it but $60+ is alot qhen you have very little.

Api tap water conditioner super strength. The light is the same one they have had since we got thwm as babys. I said 0- what ever as the strip was hard to tell exactly what it was up to. And i am awear the strips arnt the best but when funds are low got to make do with what you got. Will be getting the master kit when i have money for it but $60+ is alot qhen you have very little.
They aren't $60.00 they are $30.00, I guess that's depending on where you live though but here they are 30.00, you could find a lfs that does liquid testing until you can get one but with that size tank with those fish might be better just to save for a bigger tank and just have the lfs test until you get one.

I added some things to my previous post but I will Post it here, that strip test doesn't have ammonia which is a very very important test to do if not the most important.
548345166deb76666625bb00c4964568.jpg

Cool thanks i havent seen them that cheap here not sure amazon is in aus yet

Back
Top Bottom