Why did cory catfish die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

Thank you so much for this opportunity to share an receive information.
I have a cory catfish julii that passed away today. I have been trying to look for
Answers everywhere, but nothing specific comes up. However I have pictures.
Just to note... He was not moving the allot these passed days, and then also he was not eating, later he stopped moving for hours, also his fins where not standing up. And then he died.
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0...... Well water levels are good.
Guppys... Playing and active.
Cardinals active
The last 3 cories active, eating...fins in the air.
I do water changes weekly.
Please, any advise on what this could be will be appreciated.
His gills were red, and on the right hand side gill and belly red. Please see pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 80
Can't tell from the pics, were its barbels intact? It's underside looked pretty red, was there anything rough it could rub on?

Hi brookster,
He was so tiny when I got him, he had barbels, but so tiny aswell. I don't have any sharp or rough surfaces in the tank except the 2 plastic plants?

I am just getting paranoid though...seeing things that might not be there,... But my other Cory's gills are also staring to look more red in color. The other 2 are not.

Red gills could be ammonia related, maybe retest? Do a water change as well?

Thanks brookster, I am doing a water change tomorrow, however I think that I should take a sample of my water to the pets shop as well, to have them test it there. Cause all looks good on my side, but I want to be sure. I will be posting the results tomorrow....
Thank you so much for taking the time.

If you are concerned you should do the wc now, could save lives! When in doubt change it out.

Love that one!!! The problem is, I live in South Africa, and it is ten minutes to midnight here.. , first thing tomorrow morning, I'll be up at 6. Holding thumbs it's not too late.
This has been so exciting, and scary just started this about a month ago. So many things to learn. So happy to have this platform to ask questions and get supportive advise. Please hold thumbs!!

Love that one!!! The problem is, I live in South Africa, and it is ten minutes to midnight here.. , first thing tomorrow morning, I'll be up at 6. Holding thumbs it's not too late. This has been so exciting, and scary just started this about a month ago. So many things to learn. So happy to have this platform to ask questions and get supportive advise. Please hold thumbs!!
Lfs taught me that one! Ohh I see, only 5 in Boston, on my way home to do a couple wc myself. Keep us posted!! It is great, I've been at it for 4 months and I love it more and more every day! I'm going through the mysterious losing of fish right now too, know how you feel..

Hi tnfinfan... Something is off, having water tested aswell as my tap water, to determine what's going on. Will be back in 5 hrs to let you guys know. Thank you

Update! Water perimeters... Perfect. However due to inexperience in the beginning, I over fed my tank. This cause a huge ammonia spike and damaged the first 2 Cory's gills. One passed away yesterday, and the other one is not looking good today. The lady gave me course salt to put into my tank. Which I did. Only allowed to do quarter water change next week.? All other fish including the other 2 cories are looking very active. Will not make the same mistake ever. Just feel really bad though.
I am hopeful, however the damage is done and I do not think that my cory will make it will keep you posted.

Any additional advise is greatly appreciated.

Noooo don't say so, I already through it in, should I do water change? Immediately?

If you just used recommended dose it should be ok this once but I would not use it again. Just change water as much as it takes to get all your levels to 0 and trates below 10.say your amm is at .5ppm, do one 50% wc and it's .25ppm do another and it's 0;)

Back
Top Bottom