Why did my fish fall ill? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My little moor has passed :( The ryukin is still looking good. However, a few white spots have reappeared on his fins. I've started a very gradual increase in temperature and begun adding aquarium salt during my daily water changes in an effort to combat the ich.

I'm going to hold off on it obviously, but any advice on purchasing healthy fish and quarantining them in the future?

Thanks everybody!

Sorry for the blurry pic - the ryukin doesn't like to stay still =P

Attachments

• full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 42
So very sorry to hear about your fish. :(
When you get a new fish, I wouldn't recommend another goldfish for a 30 gallon. Some white cloud minnows might do well with the ryukin and will have a much smaller bioload. I've never quarantined a fish before (mine were both inherited) so I can't offer any advice there. You did your very best with your black moor. I'm so glad your other fish looks happier now, at least.

I am very sorry about your moor :(

I would wait on even considering any new additions of any type right now until your tank is fully cycled, stable and disease free.

What is your temperature right now and how much salt have you added? Did you dissolve the salt before adding it? Did you remove all of the med you added? We can better advise on using increased salinity to treat ich once we know where your at.

Thank you all.

My temperature is between 75 and 77 degrees. I have been adding aquarium salt with daily water changes a little below the recommended amount of 1 tbs per 5 gallons. Yes, I dissolve the salt before adding it. To my knowledge I have removed all of the ich meds - I've done several 50 and 75 percent water changes and put activated carbon back into the filter.

Thank you!!

Ich is such a butt. I would continue your WC's and heat for at least a week after your goldfish has shown no sign of ich, just to make sure you got it all. I know (and really I KNOW) how much it sucks to do water changes all the freaking time, but really it's worth it to not have a relapse.
On picking fish, really anytime fish are gotten there is a chance they will bring disease. The best thing you can do is make sure the majority of the fish at the store look in good condition, pick a fish that is swimming and interacting properly, looks healthy (no apparent disease, injury, or sunken stomach), and is eating properly if you happen to be there at feeding time. That's your best bet. Any time fish are stressed, they are more susceptible to diseases (and being shipped to a strange store, caught, sloshed around in a car, and put into another strange tank is very stressful!). Reduce stress by acclimating properly, the water is good, and maybe putting a stress coat boost in when you introduce new fish. That's all I've got! Sorry to hear your little guy didn't make it, but glad the other is doing well. I really do love goldfish - wish I had a tank that could support them :)

Awesome, thanks venymae!

I'm not terribly worried, but I think it's worth mentioning - the ryukin is spending a fair amount of time at the surface. She doesn't seem to be terribly stressed / gulping for air, but I'm still a little worried. Could the heat / salinity be causing this?

Thanks!

It's the higher temperature causing this behavior as it is reducing the oxygen levels. Higher temps are not needed to treat ich in goldfish. Increasing the salinity to an appropriate level and maintaining it along with daily water changes will be sufficient.

Do you have a kitchen scale or a small scale? Is there presently 1tbsp/5g or 6 tbsp total (based on 30g) right now or is there less or more? This is important to know so you are able to figure out the correct dosage of salt (disregard the box).

I don't own a scale, unfortunately; I have been using measuring spoons. The current concentration is slightly less than 6 tbsp / 30 gallons, but close to it. I have been adding salt during every water change (I assume it does not accumulate because it dissolves completely in the water). Do you suggest a different concentration for treatment?

Thank you!

Also, I'll begin slowly decreasing the temperature back to a more comfortable 73 degrees (?).

I don't own a scale, unfortunately; I have been using measuring spoons. The current concentration is slightly less than 6 tbsp / 30 gallons, but close to it. I have been adding salt during every water change (I assume it does not accumulate because it dissolves completely in the water). Do you suggest a different concentration for treatment?

Thank you!

Also, I'll begin slowly decreasing the temperature back to a more comfortable 73 degrees (?).

How large have your wcs been and how many have you performed since you started adding salt? Have you been adding 6tbsps with each wc? Salt does not evaporate and salinity steadily increases every time you add more salt (ie, it accumulates). The only way to remove salt is with wcs.

When using salt, you should only be adding back the salt you physically remove via a wc- example, if there is 6tbsps of salt in the tank and you do a 50% wc, you remove 3tbsps worth of salt. Only 3tbsps should be added back (predissolved) with the new water to maintain the 6tbsp dosage.

As I am unsure of what amount of salt you presently have in the tank, I am hesitant to suggest the proper dose (11.4grams per gallon) as you do not want to over-salt your fw fish. How is he doing?

My daily water changes are 50 - 75%. I have performed 4 changes since beginning to add salt. No, I don't add 6 tbs; I add only what I remove. I use an 11 quart / 2.75 gallon bucket bucket for water changes. I've been dosing right around 1/2 tbs per bucket removed and replaced as recommended on the API salt carton. There shouldn't be any excess salt in the aquarium.

Thank you, thank you!!

And my ryukin seems to be doing great :)

Back
Top Bottom