Why do my cories keep dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb1547

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got three albino corydoras from Petsmart a week or so ago, and two have since died, both times while I was gone for a day. I come back to find a pale and dead fish and quickly scoop it out.

I've never seen any of the three eat, though I bought some sinking pellets and kept an eye on them throughout the day. Their only tankmate, a platy, seems to eat them more than they do.

The tank is cycled and has zero ammonia/nitrite. I'm good about water changes and nitrate is typically under 30. pH is around 7.8. The tank is ten gallons, at ~76 degrees. I vacuum the gravel about once a week.

When I bought them at Petsmart there was a dead cory in the tank -- is it possible or likely that they got a disease from the dead one and have spread it? The two that died were the most inactive ones -- they would hang around the bottom of the tank for hours on end and only move around once in a while. The remaining one swims around a lot.

I know I need more cories to keep him company, but I want to figure out why they're dying first.

Are you using liquid or strips to test? Liquid is more accurate. Test the water and change if needed. It could be a sickness transferred from the dead fish in the store tank.

When a fish drops dead so soon after being homed in a properly sized, well maintained tank, the answer is generally bad stock. Since you saw a dead cory in the tank they came from, that greatens the possibility as well.

When a fish drops dead so soon after being homed in a properly sized, well maintained tank, the answer is generally bad stock. Since you saw a dead cory in the tank they came from, that greatens the possibility as well.

I do agree with Absoluteangel... possible bad stock... another option is the way that you are introducing the fish to the tank. How do you acclimate the fish before being transfer to your tank?

Back
Top Bottom