Why do my fish keep dying!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickieFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok,, here is my tank history. It is a 29 gallon. It came with a filter (black corner type) and a heater. We got it about 6 weeks ago, knowing nothing of cycles and ammonia, etc. Set it up and put 4 goldfish (which were actually koi, thanks alot WalMart!) in it. One died the next day, the others were fine. About 2 weeks later we got a few more fish. 2 of them died, the female betta and the the 3 albino gold tetras are still fine after almost a month. I know now that they died probably b/c of the cycling, etc.. When we found out the fish we had were koi, we gave them to a friend that has a koi pond.

That's when I got online and started researching. So we waited 2 more weeks, and bought a few more fish. We got 3 neon tetras, one dwarf frog, and a male and female fancy guppy. All very small fish. The tetras were all dead within 2 days, as was the female guppy. The male is still doing fine. After that I bought an ammonia test and ph test kits.

When I got the kits, the ammonia test was 0 and the pH was 6.8. Thought it was ok, so we got another female guppy to replace the one that died. Also got 3 painted glass tetras. The guppy died within 48 hours, 2 of the tetras died with 48 hrs of the guppy. So at that point, we had 3 albino tetras, 1 painted glass tetras, one dwarf frog, and one male guppy. waited another week (last week), and got 5 more painted glass tetras, to make a school. One died within 24 hrs, which I attributed to the LFS. I don't bother taking them back b/c it is almost an hour away. Had the other 5 for a week, no problems. So yesterday I bought 2 dwarf gouramis and 2 corys (they are spotted). Got up this morning to find one painted tetra dead. Then, 2nite when I got home, another was dead.

So now in the tank I have:

3 albino gold tetras (1.5 inches)
3 painted glass tetras (1.5 inches)
2 dwarf gourami (almost 2 inches)
2 corys (2 inches)
1 male fancy guppy (1.25 inches)
1 african dwarf frog (1 inch)

Last night I did 25% PWC. I always add AquaSafe and StressZyme to the water. I actually had to take all of the ornaments out last night and rinse them b/c of brown algae. I also cleaned the glass with clean paper towels to get the algae off, and did a good gravel vac. I do the PWC and vac once a week. I test ammonia and pH every 3 days. The fish are eating fine. They get flake food I still have from my koi twice daily, and frozen mysis worms once a week. The frog gets frog pellets daily, and the worms when the fish do.

In the 10 gallon tank we have,
1 female betta
3 adult guppies given by a friend, and one baby guppy. They are all doing fine.

Ammonia is always 0. pH is always 6.8. The fish are all growing well. Heater is set at 78 degrees. The male fancy guppy in the 29 gallon tank has just today stopped swimming at the very top of the tank, and is now swimming all over, for the first time since we got him. I have lots of ornaments in the tank.. 6 plastic plants, and a big rock with holes in it. Aquarium gravel substrate. Just got a bubbler wand, too, set up along the back of the tank. The painted glass tetras always stay near the bottom, hiding under plants, unless it's feeding time. The rest of the fish swim happily all over the tank, except the corys, which stay on the bottom. Well.. that's everything I know. It kills me that these fish keep dying. I know it's got to be may fault somehow,, but I am doing everything I know to do!! I clean the water, don't overfeed, get compatible fish, give them planty of places to hide, test the water. man, I even TALK to the darn fish!!! Can someone PLEASE help?!?!?!? :bawl:

If the LFS you are getting the fish from is over an hour away it may just be the stress of the trip esp. if you are in a truck. Maybe next time bring a cloth to cover the bag with the fish in it. They might not be as afraid. Also I used biozyme to help get my tank cycling. It put biospira in tank so the fish won't die from New Tank Syndrome. Hmmmm I'm sort of a noob meself so I'm just guessing here. We really need an alumnis help here.

good luck MickiFish

Ok have you been testing for nitrites at all? What kind of test kit are you using? It is possible the readings for ammonia are reading wrong, you need to test for nitrite as you may still only be part way through your cycle. What I recommend is to do a large, 50% or more water change without vacumming the gravel. Add your dechlorinator. Do not clean your filters either. Keep doing water changes every couple of days and see if that makes a difference to your fish. Do you have a lfs closer to you that you could have test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? I would recommend getting the AP master test kit. At bigalsonline.com it is inexpensive. Here is a link for the site.

Stress may be a factor, how are you acclimating the fish?

I'd have to agree with the others.

You are either...

1. Getting bad fish from your LFS
2. Not acclimating correctly, or slowly enough.
3. They are succumbing to stress from the vehicle ride.
4. Your test kit is bad.

Well.. I bring them home in their plastic bag, inside a brown paper bag so it is dark. I keep them in the front seat. When I get home, I have a blue bucket (I thought dark, to keep them calm). I put them and their water in it. Then I add a cupful of tank water every 15 minutes until it is about 70% tank water. Then I net them and put them in the tank.

I think my ammonia test kit is accurate, b/c I tracked the ammonia in my 10 gallon with it while it cycled. It is still registering .25 ammonia if I don't do PWC every other day..

I am not testing for nitrates ot nitrites. Should I get both of those? I don't have an LFS any closer to me, and I feel that ordering fish online would be more stressful for the fish- a 1 hour ride in my SUV vs a 2 day ride in a UPS truck, y know?

The ammonia and pH kit I use areAquarium Pharmacuticals brand, the liquid test that has the lil test tube in it.

Could the ones that die several days after purchase still be dying from stress?? I am so frustrated! I love my little fish!

If your still getting ammonia readings in a tank ever, it's not cycled or the bacteria has been killed and the tank needs to cycle again.

I'd really suggest checking for nitrites in your 29 gallon. The nitrite portion of the cycle takes 2-4 times as long as the ammonia portion easily. Nitrites are not as bad as ammonia for fish, it takes longer to kill than ammonia does. But it also takes longer to go away than ammonia.

If you do have a nitrite reading, start doing 25% water changes until you get it down to 2 or less. Once the nitrite goes away you'll want to check the nitrate every other day for a while to figure out how fast it's going up and do water changes to keep it from getting over about 20-40ppm depending on how clean of a tank you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom