Why do Rainbows turn white?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apocalypse_Gold

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen it pretty consistently in rainbows, whether they be praecox, bosemani, madagascar, etc--at home and at various lfs. Their flesh slowly turns white and then they die. The whited flesh is usually swollen as well. I have a praecox that is going that way right now. It is much smaller than the other female I purchased at the same time about 3 months ago. There is also a pinkish raised area under one pectoral fin (this preceded "The Whitening"). Do they just turn white before they die or is it a parasite, fungus, bacteria...?

Poor thing :( I dont' know an abundance about this hobby but it sure sounds like something bacterial/parasitic.
Have you tried dosing with some of the products available for these conditions??

Is your tank a little crowded with 31 assorted fishies in 20gal?

Good luck with doctoring hope you find out soon whats up.

Yes, it is WAY overstocked, but stable and well filtered. I actually had higher fatalities when I had fewer fish. My hornwort gobbles up the nitrate and I have good control over water quality. I'm hoping to get a much larger tank soon. I just moved the rainbow to qt and may start dosing the tank with antibiotics since it isn't eating well.

It sounds like a fungus. If the scales are sticking out it is dropsy, I have a gourami that has dropsy and she is turning white. Otherwise I would guess a fungus or bacteria causing a fungus. A lot of fish lose their colors when they are sick.

The weird part is that they are not losing color. If anything it becomes more intense :? . The translucent flesh becomes white and opaque, and their scales are unchanged. There aren't any scales sticking out with the exception of a few at the pectoral inflammation. I am treating for bacteria and fungus.

I think the increase in intensity is actually just the scales being on a white opaque background, making them look darker.

Hope on the horizon? She is not as white as she was a few days ago, and doesn't seem as swollen. The pectoral sore is even less red. Either she is getting better or is about to die :roll:
I was only treating with melafix and pimafix. I also have some new medicated food, but she hasn't eaten it yet. She spends 90% of her time swimming in the same place facing in the same direction (always hiding the sore), but the rainbow in the other tank does that too.

I hope that means she's getting better too!

I just got some Jungle Anti-Parasite and Anti-Bacterial food. One betta ate the anti-bacteria food like his normal food. I gave the other two bettas the anti-parasite food. They both spit it out and kind of had a spasm as they spit it out. I softened both kinds of food in some tank water (not in the same cup!) and used a paring knife to cut it in little pieces for the bettas. They sure didn't like the anti-parasite food. I hope they got enough of it into them to help.

I've done some research lately on swollen fish, dropsy, swim bladder and constipation. All of these illnesses are supposed to be eased by addition of epsom salt. As opposed to aquarium salt which can cause water and fluid retention, epsom salt draws fluids out of the fish. It is commonly used for constipation in humans. Hopefully she is on the mend.

Back
Top Bottom