Why do some cardinal tetras have white adipose fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well the title says it all. I noticed that 2 or 3 out of my 11 cardinal tetras kinda have a white fuzzy apidose fin. If you click the link you can see a picture with a cardinal tetra that has it. I just find it weird how some have it and some don't? Has anyone else noticed this in their cardinal tetras?

Cardinal Tetra - Paracheirodon axelrodi

I have no idea. They seem healthy and fine and what ever it is doesn't spread. It must be common too because just googling for cardinal tetra you can see a lot of pictures of them have it. I might try an experiment where I'll cut off the fin that's white and see how it regrows.

If on the tip it should re-grow but may not solve the problem. If it is genetics or infection for example could just come back.

On mine I was always a little wary of white tips which suddenly appeared. It seemed to pre-date bacterial infection. I'm not sure if this was just coincidence.

Well the thing is I doubt its parasites due to the fact it doesn't seem to be contagious. I would also rule out bacteria infection because one of my rasboras scraped his eye and got a little bit of cloudy eye. I dosed with melafix just to help and that seemed to do nothing. My guess would be a scar fungus or just genetics.

How is the nitrates in the tank? If I am away or something happens and I miss a water change if it gets between 40-80 it shows and a couple of my fish look a little scraggly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nitrate never gets above 5. Its heavily planted and I do a 50% WC every week.

Hmmm maybe it is just normal then. Mine don't have that but it is common in some pics. Maybe partly depends where they come from/stock

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Might be to. Next lfs visit I'll check them out and see what the fins look like.

This should be a great excuse to visit the lfs's in the area for a few weeks I reckon :)

Back
Top Bottom