Why is my opaline gourami sitting on the bottom of the tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home today to find my gourami sitting on the sand. Not grasping, or breathing hard, just hanging out. I came in with my hand to see if it would move, and it did. He came right back to the top, swimming normally, eating, all was fine. i just came back now and saw him doing it again in the same spot. This time, the angel swam by and he moved and started swimming normally.

Params are fine (0,0,20). The only thing different is the water clarity. Its foggy in the morning, and clears up throughout the day and this pattern has been repeating for the past few days. I don't know if that would effect anything. Thanks :0 I hope its normal/nothing wrong.

Ugh! Forgot about that. Checking now. My thermometer was in another tank temporarily

Here's a pic of him if it matters lol

ForumRunner_20120607_142812.jpg

its at 79. the thermometer had only been there for about five min though.

I'll check again in another few huh

Even though your params are good, I'm curious about the fogging factor. That doesn't make sense. When was the last time you rinsed out your filter media?

Yeah, leave the thermometer in there for a bit.

LyndaB said:
Even though your params are good, I'm curious about the fogging factor. That doesn't make sense. When was the last time you rinsed out your filter media?

Yeah, leave the thermometer in there for a bit.

Actually, I was gonna rinse it today. Last time was early may. Maybe this is the fog problem!!!

LyndaB said:
How long has this tank been set up and what else is in there with him?

Temp stayed at 79

Set up since December, completely cycled since February

I've got an eel, Mollies, platies, an angel, a ram, penguin tetras, and otos

Thanks for helping me out with this :)

There's a possibility that he's just a little under the weather. But again, that fogging thing is making me wonder what's going on. Do a 50% water change this weekend and rinse out everything in your filter, including the filter compartment itself.

Don't really know other than to say keep an eye on him. It sounds like everything is in order, but with fish, you just never know.

Otos are more sensitive than gouramis. It seems if there were a tank issue, the otos would tell you first.

LyndaB said:
There's a possibility that he's just a little under the weather. But again, that fogging thing is making me wonder what's going on. Do a 50% water change this weekend and rinse out everything in your filter, including the filter compartment itself.

Don't really know other than to say keep an eye on him. It sounds like everything is in order, but with fish, you just never know.

Otos are more sensitive than gouramis. It seems if there were a tank issue, the otos would tell you first.

Okay, I will keep an eye out and do my pwc early. Thanks :)

Time to clean the filter

Filter is all clean :) if the filter was the problem, the tank should be clear in the morn right?

I hope you rinsed the filter in TANK WATER or dechlorinated water !!!! Otherwise you just killed a lot of your beneficial bacteria !!!

Never do a big water change and your filter on the same day IME. You remove too much BB and can cause a mini Cycle.

If you stripped your filter you may end up having to Cycle your tank again, I hope not !

There is BB in the tank as well, so good luck.

I always rinse in tank water. I don't throw out my filter pads till they are wrecked. I don't use Carbon unless I've used meds. I have lots of plants and I do PWCs weekly.

Anytime I see a fish acting off, I change water. First thing, no matter what Tests say.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, I hope all is well.

Coursair said:
I hope you rinsed the filter in TANK WATER or dechlorinated water !!!! Otherwise you just killed a lot of your beneficial bacteria !!!

Never do a big water change and your filter on the same day IME. You remove too much BB and can cause a mini Cycle.

If you stripped your filter you may end up having to Cycle your tank again, I hope not !

There is BB in the tank as well, so good luck.

I always rinse in tank water. I don't throw out my filter pads till they are wrecked. I don't use Carbon unless I've used meds. I have lots of plants and I do PWCs weekly.

Anytime I see a fish acting off, I change water. First thing, no matter what Tests say.

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, I hope all is well.

Yes, lol tank water. I know what Im doing :)

Yeah I'll do a pwc tomorrow or the next day. the fish isn't in critical condition, he does come out and swim around. So IM not too stressed about it yet. I'll let you know :)Thanks

George9 said:
Yes, lol tank water. I know what Im doing :)

Yeah I'll do a pwc tomorrow or the next day. the fish isn't in critical condition, he does come out and swim around. So IM not too stressed about it yet. I'll let you know :)Thanks

Excellent !! Glad to hear it. Just had that horrid thought ...

Just wanted to post in case newbies read this thread also.

Coursair said:
Excellent !! Glad to hear it. Just had that horrid thought ...

Just wanted to post in case newbies read this thread also.

Haha yeah, that wouldn't be good at all

just wanted to let you know that i have 7 dwarf gouramis for about 2 years now. they all sit on the bottom of the tank at different times of the day. they just hang out. they aren't sick or anything they just rest on the bottom. nothing to worry about. :)

jpchin said:
just wanted to let you know that i have 7 dwarf gouramis for about 2 years now. they all sit on the bottom of the tank at different times of the day. they just hang out. they aren't sick or anything they just rest on the bottom. nothing to worry about. :)

That's nice to hear!! I hope that's all this is :)

I was at the lfs and their gouramis were doing the same exact thing. :)

My dg gouramies do that as well. When I first got them I was worried but now I think it's just their normal behavior.

Water was still foggy this morn :(

I'm gonna do a pwc now, he's still sitting on the bottom and is very lethargic

Back
Top Bottom