why is my tank "the death tank"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, let's start at the beginning. Every species of tetra ever added to my tank has died. Every one.com no reason why. It started with Rummies then Kerris and now penguins. They just randomly die. Most recent is the penguin tetra die off. I had twenty four go into my 60 g tank. They were fine for a week. Then there y started.d slowly dying day by day. Now I have none. Then, a few otos started dying. And today, my beloved Apisto died. I don't know what else to do. These fish were all fine before they died!! All eating, swimming, healthy. Parameters are perfect, and always have been. Water changes occur on Saturday, 50%. I do dry ferts as well. There are no aggression issues in the tank and they werent killed by others. I can't figure this out and I don't want anymore fish until it is. Does anyone have similar experiences or ideas why this is happening to me?

Thanks

jetajockey said:
What are your parameters exactly? What's the tank pH? How much are you dosing fert-wise? Co2?

Ammo and nitrite are constant zero. Nitrate stays between 10 and 20. Ph is around 7.2 I think but I haven't checked lately because my cc keeps it constant. I guess I should check it anyway.

I do a little Less than 1/2 tspn of csm mix on Mon wed Fri. And a little less than 1/2 tspn oftwo different potassium mixes. Can't remember the names though. But I do that on tues thurs sat

No Co2

jetajockey said:
Hmm. Tetras can be pretty sensitive, but that many dying off means there is an issue somewhere. What do the dead fish look like?

Well, they don't have sores or chunks missing. Just fins clamped and very pale. I see occasional cloudy,eyes too

I just don't get how then could be swimming happily one day and dead the next. Could I have gotten some kjnd of oil or lotion in the water? But then the other fish would have died too.

Tankmates include rainbows, gbr, mollies, platies, peacock eel, krib, gourami, angel

Are you certain they aren't being harassed by any of those tankmates? There's a lot of potential there for conflict. I would maybe lean towards a disease in the tank but without any blatant symptoms it is difficult. It's not unusual for the most sensitive fish to go first, but you should still see some kind of symptoms on them or at least the other fish.

jetajockey said:
Are you certain they aren't being harassed by any of those tankmates? There's a lot of potential there for conflict. I would maybe lean towards a disease in the tank but without any blatant symptoms it is difficult. It's not unusual for the most sensitive fish to go first, but you should still see some kind of symptoms on them or at least the other fish.

I honestly have never seen any of the fish go after one another, it could be a whole different.story when IM not looking, but from what I've seen, they're all friends.

Would internal parasites be a possibility? I do onto see symptoms of that either though, everyone just seems so happy.

Usually the signs of IP's are wasting, thin bodies, lethargy, stringy poo. And they are usually slow killers, taking weeks if not longer. I don't know if its the actual IP's that kill the fish as much as just the weakening of them over time.

jetajockey said:
Usually the signs of IP's are wasting, thin bodies, lethargy, stringy poo.

Okay lol, none of that then. my gourami has been sitting on the bottom, but he stopped yesterday and. Back.to being.happy.as ever. Sorry for all the periods. Stupid swipe keyboard.....

Figured out why. Checked ammo today and UT went up to . 25. IM just gonna say that was the cause of all the deaths, maybe I was reading the.ammonia wrong. IM doing a pwc now. All the fish look like absolute crap and I see ich on one fish as well.I want to up the temp but I have a peacock eel and they are very sensitive to high temps!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Eel should be ok around 83-84 :)

What about 86? That's the temp I'd need to kill it without salt or meds

I do t wanna loose the eel either, he's just getting used to me :)

Ya i mean 86 is a bit high because you would need to keep it likethat for a few weeks and the eel would hate that... Get kordons ich attack formula. Its all natural and wont kill plants or anything but cures ich pretty quick. Cured mine in 4 days!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya i mean 86 is a bit high because you would need to keep it likethat for a few weeks and the eel would hate that... Get kordons ich attack formula. Its all natural and wont kill plants or anything but cures ich pretty quick. Cured mine in 4 days!

Will it kill my bb? That would be worse for the mini cycke

Just read that it won't effect the bacteria :)

And it is okay for scaleless fish? Like kuhlis and eels

Figured out why. Checked ammo today and UT went up to . 25. IM just gonna say that was the cause of all the deaths, maybe I was reading the.ammonia wrong. IM doing a pwc now. All the fish look like absolute crap and I see ich on one fish as well.I want to up the temp but I have a peacock eel and they are very sensitive to high temps!

.25 ammonia is not going to kill fish.

Ich kills tetras pretty easily though, I've treated a few tetra stock tanks that were infected and there was always a sizeable dieoff rate compared to other species.

jetajockey said:
.25 ammonia is not going to kill fish.

Ich kills tetras pretty easily though, I've treated a few tetra stock tanks that were infected and there was always a sizeable dieoff rate compared to other species.

Well, maybe its a good thing I don't have any tetras anymore then.

Prime.will detoxify the ammonia.and.nitrite while iM going through this too right?

Back
Top Bottom