wierd activity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey i just bought 10 zebra danios for my 55 gallon tank(12 zebra danios in total), and they were all fine, playing, eating etc. until today (3 days from purchase)i noticed 1 of them was hanging out between all the plants at the bottom, like just chillin there. its has no discoloration, no spots, no rubbing against plants to remove anything, its just sitting down there, and when i put my net in the water to try to touch him/her to see if he/she is still alive it swims all over the tank, and just keeps attempting to get back to the spot even with the net in the water, it just keeps shooting for that spot, its wierd. i noticed a few fish have a rusty tinge but they arent acting wierd, and iv had danios before that started as a wierd color, light, rusty, dark brown etc. and they all changed later on to a nice color. so im not sure if its(the danio at the bottom between the plants) just being wierd or its nervous to mingle with other fish im not sure, plz if someone could answer me that would be so much help, and tell me if the color should be an issue to?

Yeah, ammonia and nitrIte levels would be the first thing I'd check. Anytime adding new fish you risk running a mini-cycle.

im still cycling my filters and i do 10% water changes every 2 days, but does that answer why my danio is acting so wierd? and if so why would it act so wierd?

ok my ph is 7.4 and my ammonia is 0.00 and my nitrites are extremely high 1.5, so i think i just need to do a 25% water change on my 55 gallon tank, i just did a 10 % change yesterday, but tell me if i should do more than 25% change. And after i do the water change should i add more cycling fluid(seachem stability)? iv bin keeping up with the regular doses of seachem(1 cap ever 20gals everyday for 7 days, then 1 a month to keep filters well cycled), and yes i know none of these products are proven but iv bin useing the stuff for a while now and its worked great on all my tanks. but ya just tell me if i should do more of a change , or do something else to decrease nitrites?

I would do 50%, and add dechlorinator when you do the change. You may have to do daily water changes to keep the nitrites down.

I'd keep testing and if it stays high keep doing the bigger changes. The tests will tell you how much you need to do.

Fresh water will fix a lot of things, and you should do the changes, but your fish may be nervous regardless. I've moved danios between tanks and it's not that odd to get just one who's not happy about moving. As I said in an earlier post, watch for hiding behavior... that's how I found my sick ones. The good thing is that you have plenty of these active fish in the tank... if the bottom-sitter is just homesick, and everyone else in the tank is OK, he/she should pick it up soon enough, especially at feeding time.

ok i did 50 % and i can alrdy see the difference in my fish. sorry one more question, should i add seachem stability after water changes? and i used chlor x change to remove chlorine heavy metals etc. and i actually didnt notice but it says it releases ammonia into the water, and it says not to add directly into the aquarium, i didnt add directly til the very end, i added a few drops jus to be sure i removed all the bad stuff, is this hazardous? is my tank gonna keep maintaining high nitrites if i keep useing chlor x change? because my cycle is not over so there isnt alot of nitrite consuming bacteria yet?

have you tap water checked and determine what kind of additive you need to add (if any) i recommend 25 - 30% water changes every day untill you got things under control. check it every day and when you get a reading untill its under control

you should also try to add your fish in small increments. i'm not too sure that adding 10 at a time is really all that good for ya

oh i wouldnt keep adding stuff unless you need it.fish live on water and food.. not chemicals

im aware they dont live on chemicals(thats pretty straight forward), i just wanted to know if i was adding a harmfull amount of ammonia(because chlorxchange releases it). i will continue daily water changes im sure i should be close to the end of my cycle, iv bin cycling for a lil over a month so i think a few more weeks and i should be ok. thanks for all the help, il keep yall updated

and seachem stability is a cycling fluid full of essential bacterium that help establish your filter faster and efficiently(according to them, seems to work)

and seachem stability is a cycling fluid full of essential bacterium that help establish your filter faster and efficiently(according to them, seems to work)

There aren't many "true" products out there that do this. The only ones that do actually work are kept refrigerated, through shipping as well as at the pet store, so local fish stores make A LOT of money off of products such as that. If what you bought was stored/shipped/and kept refrigerated then you have a product that will help your aquarium cycled quicker, if it was not, then it won't.

Back
Top Bottom