Will a stunted angelfish ever grow normally?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an angel fish that has not grown at all since I received it. I received it in May this year at 3 months old with two siblings that grew normally (these have since been sold). I then received some pea sized angels in June and they surpassed this angel's size a month ago.

The angel in question is about an inch and half in diameter. It is a super veil (but so were it's siblings). It is currently in my 55 with small schooling fish and a pair of GBRs. I do not see it being picked on. If anything it picks on the other fish. My water parameters are normal. I do weekly 50% water changes. I feed a special flake mix along with frozen bloodworms, veggies, brine shrimp and cichlid mix.

I have heard that in stunted fish their organs continue to grow even though their body is small. Should I be concerned that the angel is suffering? Will this angel ever grow normally? Could it have been born with mutated genes to never grow large?

There have been a number of studies on farmed fish regarding stunting, and they indicate that a stunted fish will grow again once they are removed from the conditions causing the stunted growth.

But, yes, the fish can be genetically predisposed to be small.

People will say that the stunted fishs organs continue to grow, ultimately killing it. However, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up this claim.

There have been a number of studies on farmed fish regarding stunting, and they indicate that a stunted fish will grow again once they are removed from the conditions causing the stunted growth.

But, yes, the fish can be genetically predisposed to be small.

People will say that the stunted fishs organs continue to grow, ultimately killing it. However, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to back up this claim.

In this case the angelfish has the best conditions for growing that it can have in captivity. It should be growing, but it has not grown at all.

It just seems to me that an inch and half in diameter is a ridiculously tiny size for an angelfish. I don't personally mind as this means I can keep it with smaller fish without an issues :)

Thanks for your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom