Will my Bala Shark survive this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will my Bala Shark survive this?

EDIT

I can't attach the image of how he looks because some quota limit of 1MB!! %$#@^$# :bawl:!!

My larger bala has become more and more aggressive lately and just a while ago chassed the smaller one in the tank through small opening in decoration that he could not fit through. the smaller bala got stuck in there and I had to get him out, I tried to be as gentle as possible.. However I could just not get him out forwards..

I had to push him out backwards which resulted in a loss of quite a bit of scale [ he lost quite a bit during his own struggling, to ] and now he looks like he is in BAD shape.

He is missing maybe an inch and a half band of scales around the circumfronse of his body! and hes acting really bad to, I know hes stressed.. butwill he live?

I'll upload the image to my gallery but I odn;t know how long it'll be before its visible.

2543Hurt_Bala.jpg

Hi William,
I don't have bala sharks, or actually anything but bettas. But here's what I would do: Medicate the shark so fungal or bacterial infections don't get started in his injured area. If you have a QT tank, put him in there, and use any antibiotic med you have. If you have MelaFix, use it. It helps with wound healing--don't know about scale re-growth, but at this point it wouldn't hurt to try. Putting the shark in a QT would be best to give the meds, and also to get him away from the aggressive shark. You have other tanks -- maybe put the smaller bala in another tank, away from the agressive bala.

If you don't have a QT tank, you can use Melafix in the main tank. I've read other posts that say you can use it in the main tank and it doesn't hurt the good bacteria. But I would put the bala in the 10g tank with no bettas if you choose to put Melafix in the main tank. I've read on a few places that bettas do not do well with Melafix due to their labyrinth organ. I know I tried to give my betta Melafix once and he did act worse. Of course the best option is a QT tank. Putting the bala in a new tank could increase stress on him. I really hope this helps some. Even though I don't have the tanks that you do, I hope I helped a little and all this works out for you. :)

I did, sorry..I was flustered and forgot to mention it. he is in the molly 10g tank until he recovers.

and I wouldn't put him in with the Betta because for some odd reasom my betta just is racist against Bala's

just stick with the melafix iv had a couple of cichlids that fought and descaled each other, the scales grow back in time, and the malafix speeds it up a lot.

If you get him out of the tank and get him medicated and taken care of like the above mention, he should be fine in the long run.

My pink kisser gourami is a surviver from some disease from the lfs that nearly wiped out an entire tank before I could stop it. He lost some scale from it, but they have since all grown back.

I couldn't get the Melafix last night, I had planned on getting it today..

however when I came home from work my Bala was laying upside down on the bottom of the tank, twitching as if trying to right himself. I reached into the tank with a net and gently helped him back up and he seemed to be okay for the minute or so I watched him before coming ot make this post.

My question is, Should I still get the Melafix or with his new symptons should I get something else?

I really don't want ot loose another fish :bawl:

Okay, hes still on his back and dosn't seem to be able to coordinate himself.

All he does is lay on his back, twitching his tail while breathing kinda hard..

Will the Melafix help him at all? or should I just put him out of his missery? :(

poor guy... Youcan try the melafix for a few days, but it sounds like he's in dire straights.

Urk. I dunno William...I don't know if he's going to survive this one. I don't think Melafix would help at all. A broad spectrum antibiotic might, but if he's just laying on his back I don't know if even that will help enough.

If you decide to put him out of his misery, you can check here for some humane suggestions: http://www.bettasrus.com/disease/euthanasia.htm

My oranda lost a ton of scales a couple weeks ago (he and my fantail were being really nippy, along with the fact he likes to try and fit through spaces he's just too fat to go thru). While he looked pretty raggety, he never exhibited any signs of illness. I did a salt dip to just kinda encourage some slime coat and kill off any bugs.

It sounds like your guy hasn't been as lucky, and has contracted an infection as a result of his mishap. You could try a broad spectrum antibiotic (As Alli suggested), or see if he's able to fight it off on his own.

I'm so sorry William. I've been following this, and hoping your shark made it... What a helpless feeling to have a sick or injured fish and not be able to do anything to help. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom