Will the high temperature 86F for 10 days cure ich problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found the newly bought neon tetra have ich problem. I wonder whether use heat treatment is sufficient or not. I plan to use 86F for 10 days, without salt or med.

Do you have any heat treatment experience to share? Thanks!

I suggest thinking closer to 2 weeks at high temp. And shoot for closer to 88-90 degrees.

You want to both speed up the ich cycle, and kill the nematocycsts while they are in freeswimming stage.

It should do the trick. It will be longer than ten days though. Keep at 86 for two weeks after the last sign of ich is gone.

I kept at 86 for 14 days after the white spots were gone and it was successful.

It worked for me as well , also make sure you have good current and air as to prevent dead/cooler spots and increase oxygen levels as the warmer water doesn't carry as much oxygen.

I also recommend at least 87F. I treated my tank twice for Ich, both times with ~88-89F to be sure I was above the threshold to kill it.

Without the salt you need the temp higher. At 86 degrees you are speeding up the life cycle but you have nothing killing the new ich, at a higher temps you speed up the cycle and kill the ich.

I guess all depend on situation. I read one person used 84F for 4 days and it worked for his fishes. If 86 degrees was speeding up the life cycle, then I should see more ich. But the real situation tell me the different. I guess either ich be killed or stop development and be eventually died.

After 1 week of treatment so far, the ich has already gone from the fishes - actually gone after 2-3 days treatment and fishes stop flashing too. I will keep 87F for another week to be sure that it won't come back.

Back
Top Bottom