Wiped out tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krawdaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok.here's the scoop. I have a 20gal with 4 guppies and 2 nerite snails that have been in a cycled tank for over a month. The guppies have been healthy and even had a few babies but were lost a few weeks ago. On Saturday my son picked out a few fish, a bn pleco, 2 brilliant rosabora, 2 cherry barbs. We added the bn and rosabora to the tank with the guppies.I did a water change before we got the fish and all the levels were fine when I tested. On monday I came home to the 2 female guppies and 1 rosabora dead. Did water change and tested water and everything was fine. On tuesday I came home to the 2 male guppies and the other rosabora dead. Did water change and took water to lfs and everything was ok. On Wednesday the bn pleco had died.all fish were very pale and were on the bottom of the tank when I gound them. I have no idea what could of went wrong Except last week I used windex to clean the outer glass, I have a glass lid that doesn't cover the whole top of the tank. Its on the bottom of a double stand and I used the wet paper towel to clean the tank above. Could the mist wipe.out the whole tank?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do weekly sometimes biweekly water changes, test water everytime I do and levels haven't always been fine, water temp is 77, im using a sponge filter. Any idea of what could of happend?

If windex got into the tank it could certainly wipe everything out, i've been reading up on using it to clean the outside of aquariums recently, and i would not as the risk is too high of it getting into the tank and wiping everything out like i am reading about here.

There were no symptoms of ich. I use windex on my other tanks and have never had a problem so that's why im not so sure that was it, im no.longer going to use it tho

It may never have previously made it into the tank, it may not be the windex, but it's a theory. 50/50 distilled white vinegar and water is your friend.

I do weekly sometimes biweekly water changes, test water everytime I do and levels have always been fine, water temp is 77, im using a sponge filter. Any idea of what could of happend?

Thanks, are you saying use the water and vinegar to clean the outer glass or to tear down and clean the inside?

That's what i use for cleaning the outside of the glass, i am not sure what you can do to make the tank safe for fish, sorry.

(again, windex is just a theory)

Back
Top Bottom