Wobbly molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone help? Molly in quarantine tank started off fairly active but over course of the 30 day period is now not doing much swimming, just kinda treading water in one or two places throughout the day. Although she does move around every once in a while.

She was initially doing a fish in cycle but was bailed out two weeks ago when my angels plus active filter arrived. But the ammo never got above 0.25,and never saw any nitrites and water params have been perfect 0s since then with maybe 5-10 nitrates.

I don't see any spots or visible signs of illness. I thought she was just lonely or something so being at the end of her 30 QT period I decided to drip acclimate her and move her into the display tank today w my 3 other mollies and neon tetras. She poked around a bit but then just the same darn thing again.....just treading water in one spot not interacting with other fish. I moved her back into QT tonight after only 4 hrs in the main tank. What could this be? It's definitely not "normal" ... Not how she acted when I first brought her home and certainly not how all my other Molly fish act. Can anyone help?

Some additional info - pls help!

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? Panda Molly. Gold dust front half black rear half

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? Tanks she is QT in is a ten gallon

4~What type of filtration are you using? Aqeon 10 and also a 3x3 active sponge filter

5~How many fish are in the tank? Just her. Started with a gold dust lyre tail Molly but she did not make it past the first week of fish-in cycling

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Tuesday - 25% PWC

7~How long have you had the fish? 30 days

If the fish is new, how did you acclimate? 4 hrs of adding tiny bits of tank water

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Just the active filter 2 weeks ago

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? standard flakes. Have only seen her eat once though....oh aside from giving birth to fry 3 or 4 days after I brought her home. 2-3 days later all the fry were gone (eaten).

Out of desperation i took my panda molly to the LFS yesterday - he agreed no visible signs of illlnesss; but looked like a sure fire case of malnutrition since she is not eating anything. brought her home and tried to feed her live baby brine shrimp and some veggie flakes and she won't eat either, so I think she will not be around much longer... unless anyone can offer any suggestions or advice i'm out of ideas

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi, sorry about your fish.
Have you considered the possibility of internal parasites? Signs of malnutrition can indicate intestinal worms.

I suppose that might be a possibility. What is the best treatment for intestinal worms?

now she is having a difficult time staying upright - can't swim, just scoots, starts to lean to one side and then flaps her fins to get back upright. supposing this is internal parasites, is it too late once they start doing this? It's late here in the east cost and I'm not sure i could even find an open pet store til tomorrow. I've just put some salted water in the freezer in case I need to euthanize the fish tonight

could it be dropsy or swim blatter

the good news - i looked both of those up and it does not appear to be either.

the bad news - the panda molly just died :(

i don't know what it is with fish from this one particular store but i'm now 0 for 4 and seriously never buying from there again

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm so sorry to hear that! :( to answer your earlier question a product like prazipro probably would have rid her of any internal parasites.

Thanks Mumma. Also would aquarium salt help in a situation like this ( internal parasites)?

Did your mollie have salt???? They need a little salt because it adds the much needed electrolytes mine was acting slow and was laying on the bottom I added the salt and he never stops lol!

Crazy4fish said:
Did your mollie have salt???? They need a little salt because it adds the much needed electrolytes mine was acting slow and was laying on the bottom I added the salt and he never stops lol!

I've been keeping my mollies in straight freshwater - no salt - mostly because they share a tank with neon tetras. But the QT the injured Molly is in is now salted and he seems to be enjoying it. I guess the real test will be to see how quickly, if at all, his injured fin heals.

Ponch said:
I've been keeping my mollies in straight freshwater - no salt - mostly because they share a tank with neon tetras. But the QT the injured Molly is in is now salted and he seems to be enjoying it. I guess the real test will be to see how quickly, if at all, his injured fin heals.

Actually you can put any freshwater wish including your neon tetras in salt water I have two freshwater tanks that always has salt in it.

Back
Top Bottom