Worm-like thing from my gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raignis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Three days ago my son noticed something hanging off the bottom of my opaline gourami. It was worm-like, about an inch long, pinkish in color coming from between the pectoral barbs, not the rear of the fish. I went to grab my phone to take a photo and when I got back, it was gone. I've searched the bottom of the tank and didn't see it anywhere and I haven't seen it happen since. It's a 29g tank with the opaline and an angelfish, both of which I've had for a year and a half along with a dwarf gourami we picked up six months ago. We haven't seen this in the other two fish and all three have healthy appetites.

Looking around, the only thing I've come up with could be camallanus worms. I don't have any local fish stores, only Petsmart and Petco and Petsmart only had API General Cure which I'm currently dosing. This is my possibly sick fish and I'm not sure what else to do at this point so I'm asking for suggestions.

I have a ten gallon I can set up as a quarantine but, since I've had all of the fish together this long, I can't imagine only one would be infected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it sounds like poop.

do an image search on google of "gourami pooping" and you'll see the waste comes out more towards the top under their gills.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now. Is the anus actually up in that area of the fish and not back towards the tail? I've been looking for an anatomy illustration for gouramis and can't find one. I haven't seen any else coming from the fish since this one time and he doesn't appear sluggish or without appetite. When I fed them last night it went nuts like always. Is gourami poop pink or reddish in color? Reading around, I always see people asking about white or clear stringy poop but this was pink/red in color. In the 18 months or so that I've had the fish I've never seen it poop.

Ok, thank you for your responses. I guess I just haven't experienced the gargantuan stuff these things can push out.

Back
Top Bottom