Worms in fish eye ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teakwood

Aquarium Advice Freak
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Cardinal tetra, popeye with what appears to be small white worms inside of the 'bubble' and eye ball. Also one small speck that looks funny near the dorsal fin, not sure if its a damaged scale or some type if critter?
2~What are your tank parameters- ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate never above 20ppm, temp 80' ph 7.8
3~ How large is the tank? 10g they were originally 10 CT in my 55 but I moved them to the 10g when I was loosing them to my angelfish. Whether it was because of sickness or aggression I'm not sure.
4~What type of filtration are you using? Tetra whisper 15
5~How many fish are in the tank? 4 mystery snails and 4 cardinal tetras
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Last night. How often do you do this? At least 1 a week. How much water do you remove at a time? 50%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? About a month drip acclimated.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Nope im pretty positive they had the worms when I bought them. I noticed the popeye about a week after getting them ive been keeping an eye on it and I've been keeping water super clean hoping it would clear up on its own. Yesterday I noticed what looks like white 'worms' or threads coming out of the eye. I use prime.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Omega one flakes and frozen blood worms a couple times a week.

I have a feeling I need to treat both tanks. I know I will have to move the snails. One tank had cory cats, angels and german blue rams. I have some prazi pro and some tetra parasite guard. Looks like I'm going to need to use them. If anyone can give me an opinion on what exactly it probably is and the best way to treat them I would sure appreciate it.

After reading a bit I think they may be anchor worms though I'm not positive and I don't think prazipro treats anchor worms but parasite guard does so I'm going to start with that. Fingers crossed my sensitive cardinals are okay through treatment. Also, does anyone know if snails could get/carry the worms and since the meds for worms are bad for snails is there anyway to be sure snails don't have them??? Thank you!

I'm sorry no one has chimed in on this thread. Unfortunately I have never ran into your problem and have no advice. Hopefully someone here can give some help soon.

I'm sorry no one has chimed in on this thread. Unfortunately I have never ran into your problem and have no advice. Hopefully someone here can give some help soon.

Oh it's okay, I try to do as much reading on google as I can, sometimes its just nice to have someone familiar give you advice on your specific situation.

I agree, looks like your doing your research. Good luck, hope someone has some tips for you.

Update for anyone interested, it appears these white worms surrounded by a clear bubble are fairly common in cardinal tetras. I'm doing a round if tetra parasite guard, though I'm afraid I may still have to manually remove the worm.

Back
Top Bottom