Worried about my Bargain Red Eyed Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everbody, I recently picked up a bargain from Petsmart (boo, hiss I know, but my local store has always been pretty good, close and cheap) I got 8 red eyed tetras for 8 dollars, which I thought was pretty good.

The problem is I have been reasearching and it seems they grow to 7cm long! Currently they are in a quarantine tank 10 gallon, but it seems like they need to be in a 55 really for when they are fully grown. I have a 55 gallon which is pretty well stocked - if not overstocked - a ten gallon quarantine and a 20 gallon currently not in use.

The 55 gallon has, 1 full grown Angel, 1 Pleco abou 6" long, 2 Parrot fish currently about 2" long each, 10 Neon Tetras, 3 Otocinclus Cats, 5 Albino Cories, six flame tetras, 1 rubber lipped pleco about 1 1/2" currently, 1 Upside down Catfish and 3-4 Ghost Shrimp. They all get along great.

The 10 Gallon has 8 Red Eyed Tetras, 2 Otocinclus, 1 Rubber Lipped Pleco about 1 1/2", and 2 Ghost Shrimp. Looks good so far.

Any idea how fast Red Eyed Tetras grow? Any suggestions as to where I should put them when quarantine is over. Tempted to set up the 20 Gallon, but no idea where I will find space for it..... Would the Red Eyed Tetras be okay with the Angel? Would they be okay with the Neons? I have read that they can be nippy....

Thanks in advance!

With the options given, they'd be better off in the 55 gallon. Being they will be introduced to those fish, The main problem would most likely be the red eyes getting pestered at least at first by the angel and the parrots. They should leave the other smaller fish alone because they are already in there. Order of introduction makes a big difference of what gets left alone and what gets attacked.

You could also return some these killer deal fish. Now you know why they're such a deal :)

:( Yes I sippose so! Loathe to return any though they are so fun! I may just have to dust off the 20 gallon for them. They are currently tiddlers so they ought to be alright in there for a while at least...Maybe I can get a new 55 Gallon....Hmmm.

I've had a red eye tetra for about a year now and he is still an inch and a half . I haven't seen him grow much.

he was one of two , his partner died and i didn't like him enough to order more, but felt badly about kicking him out of the tank.. .

he isn't growing at all fast.

I have 6 in my 36. They are at least 3 years old. They are about 2 inches apiece. They are pretty, lively fish.

Back
Top Bottom