Worried about my pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a Pleco like two days ago, and i got home this morning and the Pleco was resting on the bottom of my tank (I have a 10 gallon tank. Tank is also new) and when he was on the glass as he was sucking he'd like slid down the glass to the bottom. I did a 25 water change today and filtered the particles out via vacuum. Please help I'm fairly new to this fishy stuff lol, and this is also my first post.

A pleco feeds/rests on the bottom and can occasionally "slide" down the glass. What kind of Pleco do you have? A 10 gallon might be a bit small depending on the type of Pleco. They can get quite big.

Welcome to AA btw! :D

Is a black one, I can't remember of the top of my head. About the tank I know, after like 6 months I want to get a 55 gallon tank (let me know if you know of a good store or what to get a new tank, I like in the Philly area.

Another question I have two red clawed crap in there as well, I found one upside down today. And it had a problem staying on the ground. After while it was acting a little more normal ( wasn't moving around as much as it did before). What could have the problem? Should I add anything to the water.

Welcome to AA!

Every now and then, a pleco will take a rest after cleaning the glass for a little while, he should get back and at em in no time, nothing to worry about.

Like said, a 10 gallon is small for plecos, even for the dwarf variety. A nerite snail is a good replacement though.

The crabs you got are not 'fully aquatic' specimens. You will either have to get rid of them or lower your tank level enough were they can get out of the water for a breath of fresh air.

So they are able to climb at the top and rest there for a few? If so, Im not sure whats wrong with them, wait for more input.

Yes they are able to climb up and down, I watched them climb up and down the other day. One problem mostly likely is that the tank is in the beginning stages of cycling.

I'm doing frequent water changes and used ammonia tablets. Every so often to keep it in check.

Is a black one, I can't remember of the top of my head. About the tank I know, after like 6 months I want to get a 55 gallon tank (let me know if you know of a good store or what to get a new tank, I like in the Philly area.

Another question I have two red clawed crap in there as well, I found one upside down today. And it had a problem staying on the ground. After while it was acting a little more normal ( wasn't moving around as much as it did before). What could have the problem? Should I add anything to the water.

Well, trust me, Plecos grow quickly! Mine went from 2" to 8" in less than 6 months. Unless you have plans to get a 55 gallon in the next couple of months, you may want to consider taking him back where you bought him or rehome him. I know that's something you probably don't want to hear, but a Pleco needs a lot of room and can suffer if kept in a confined space.

Any pet store will have nice 55 gallon setups, but sometimes you can fine nice, used ones on Craigslist. I got mine from some guy on CL for $100. It came complete w/ tank, stand, food, filter media, 2 air pumps, HOB filter, an extra filter, 3 heaters, (although I never used those, they were quite worn and I didn't want to chance them failing).

Can't really help you w/ the red clawed thingies.

Edit: Oh and if your tank wasn't cycled correctly, that is not good for your Pleco either.

Yeah I'm trying to jump on a 55 gallon in a few months. Thanks for the advise anyone! Keep on touch. And feel free to keep the comments coming I still need advise on how to keep the toxic down, and how to keep stable bioload.

Another thing, should I get a bubble stone? The ticket water filter I have is putting bubbles in the water, but should I still get one?

I have 1 bubble stone centrally located in my 10 gallon quarantine tank that I just set up. I'm a firm believer in oxygen... so, yeah, I would get one. ;)

Deal, thanks for the advise again! The tank I bought came with a filter. Should I get another one just because the filter might not last.

No problem. :D I think getting another filter is the least of your worries right now though. I clicked on your "My Tanks" and if you did start up the tank only 4 days ago, you are about to have an issue. I don't have the link handy, but there's a sticky on here about cycling a tank. Honestly, if you truly care about your new additions, I would take them back, cycle your tank correctly, then get some new ones. Research is key! (y)

But to answer your question, I have a back-up HOB filter for my 55 gallon. I think it's always a good idea to have one, (no matter the tank size), just in case the one you have fails.

Also, were you aware that you typed... "Another question I have two red clawed crap in there as well..."? lol

Lol I didn't realize, I guess I'm getting kinda tired. It's 1:44 AM here in new jersey.

Well, it made me giggle. If you see crap in your tank, you REALLY have problems! :p

(btw, I knew you meant to type "crab"... typos happen, no biggie)

Seriously though, do consider what I mentioned, (about taking them back), and research how to do a correct cycle. Don't get me wrong, you can cycle w/ fish, but it's a less humane way as you are putting stress on the fish and you may have casualties.

Whatever you do, don't let all the info you see on this site overwelm you. Keep in mind that all of the people on here have "been there before". Their information is way more reliable than any sales clerk at your LFS. Not to badmouth the people that work at LFS, but most of them are trying to just sell you stuff you don't need or fish that aren't compatible w/ your tank size or other fish.

I think the pleco may be a bristlenose does it look like this
bristlenose-pleco.jpg

RIP my pleco and one crab :/ they passed this morning. But yea that picture was like my pleco.

Back
Top Bottom