worried new fish mom, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this tank still has to cycle so we arent out of the water yet!! lol

But thanks for all of your great advice!!!

And feel free to pm me if you need to talk! :)

That's great news and what a bonus if the tank is actually a 20 gal! Go on aquadvisor and put In your tank measurements it will tell you exactly the capacity of your tank. Can't wait to see pics :) is he a fancy or a single tail ?

The weird line things you see are bubbes..i know weird right?

And sorry for the crappy photos, my bro took the good camera to college so these were taken with a cell phone :/

The black one just shows how awesome the led light thingy is at night!

71251-albums10962-picture47123.jpg

71251-albums10962-picture47125.jpg

71251-albums10962-picture47124.jpg

Yeah thats what i was thinking!!!

The bubbles are gone i will try to get better pics later today!

UPDATE:

Josh was very active this morning, tonight ehh kind of...

I did a 25% water change since we are going to be restarting cycling :/ I will do this every day.

Im hoping he is just acting a little slow because his water temp has dropped since this morning so im heating that back up right now (space heater near tank, closed door in room)

I did a test and there is 0 nitrite and ph is 6.8 so that must mean there is ammonia present which would make sense since we are at the beginning of the cycle again.

If a goldfish rests at the bottom for a short time does that mean he is sick or just resting?

And if he is swimming around with his mouth at the top what does that mean?

Without an ammonia test, you dont know for sure but it sounds like he is reacting to ammonia in the tank. The tank cooling off will make him more sluggish but gulping at the surface is likely because of ammonia present. I would just increase your water changes to 50% daily until you are able to get a test or have your water tested at the very least to get a better idea. Goldies will rest on the bottom at times so this isnt very unusual. :)

Studied him longer, had to sit really still for the longest time!! hes not comfy with me yet :/

And found out he isnt gulping at all a the top, he just goes up there and swims around with his head like just below the surface...odd really lol

He is doing good i think.

He does like to spend a great deal of time at the top...with his mouth closer to the surface and his tail down towards the bottom.

He has just very very recently developed brown spots on his head and around his gills..

I have read somewhere that this is a sign that my tank is almost done cycling and he is healing...is this true?

It's not uncommon if you're getting used to each other, and he starts associating you with food, he will start to circle the top when he sees you- my personal experiences have almost all been like that, my fish 'perform' for food, or just out of habit- especially if you are a creature of habit and show them consistency.... I love goldfish juvies, they are funny to watch- you can tell they are watching you back. Glad things seem ok!! Good luck.

He is doing good i think.

He does like to spend a great deal of time at the top...with his mouth closer to the surface and his tail down towards the bottom.

He has just very very recently developed brown spots on his head and around his gills..

I have read somewhere that this is a sign that my tank is almost done cycling and he is healing...is this true?

I read if they're bumpy or sticking up its bad but I've also read if its flush with the scales and just coloring then it can be a sign of healing.

Its flat and just like discoloration of his scales, it has actually decreased over the last few days, the water has no detectable amounts of anything bad!! I think im finally done cycling!!! :D

Its flat and just like discoloration of his scales, it has actually decreased over the last few days, the water has no detectable amounts of anything bad!! I think im finally done cycling!!! :D

Thats good :) just keep an eye on those levels for the next few days to be absolutely sure.

reallly sad to say but little josh passed away last night :(

He had this awesome day where he was so playful and was doing great i was sure it was the end of his battles, but sadly the next day he slowed down and i did a water change, he slowed more, i did another water change, he was laying on the bottom, i did another water change, he passed away :(

Im sad because i tried so hard to keep my little buddy alive :/

reallly sad to say but little josh passed away last night :(

He had this awesome day where he was so playful and was doing great i was sure it was the end of his battles, but sadly the next day he slowed down and i did a water change, he slowed more, i did another water change, he was laying on the bottom, i did another water change, he passed away :(

Im sad because i tried so hard to keep my little buddy alive :/

I know that feeling. Sometimes you try and try and try and it doesnt always work out. Just gotta do the best you can. Sorry about josh :(

Back
Top Bottom