Wounded calico goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TryingMyBest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few weeks back my small calico had a pretty obvious case of dropsy which I treated with Jungle brand fungus clear for 8 days, and it seemed to clear up. In the last day or so I've suddenly noticed swelling in the same spots right behind his gills and now there's a pretty bad looking wound on his right side, show in the pictures below.

img_1630407_0_12f9307a9f4158d8c515df2971bcd67e.jpg

img_1630407_1_8f2d30e154261e37310fdbddac9c0642.jpg

As of today I've upgraded the fish tank from a 10 gallon to a 15 gallon, it's not much larger but there was a leak in the old one and the price was right. My question is more about whether I should start treating for dropsy just to be on the safe side. I've just added extra water to the tank, and in adding the medicine I'm supposed to remove the bio filter, but I'm not sure if I want to do that as it will deprive the new water of bacteria.

Any thoughts?

Did you move the media from your 10gal into the 15gal? Your actually NOT supposed to remove the biofilter (and your benefical bacteria), just any carbon that may be in your filter. If you did not move the filter media to your new tank, you are starting off on day 1 of a fish-in cycle. How are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)and how are you testing them (strips or liquid)? How did you decide that your fish has dropsy? Dropsy is an internal bacterial infection that shuts down the kidneys creating edema (swelling) of the fishes body & creating a 'pine-cone' appearance (scales protrude). The only effective treatment for dropsy is antibiotics. I do not think your fish is suffering from dropsy. I would not treat him with meds until we can get a clear picture of whats going on here. Healthy water and perhaps aquarium salt may be all he needs!

Oh, yes I forgot to mention I haven't replaced the filter and I actually transferred about 75% of the water from the old tank to the new one, only 75% just to cut back on any ammonia buildup that may have been causing a problem for them. And the fish definitely had dropsy before, he had the pinecone protrusions and swelling so badly I didn't expect him to make it. I had tested the water in the ten gallon tank a day or two ago with an API ammonia test kit and the levels were at or below 0.25 ppm, so they're definitely lower today.

Ok! So, you have the same filter media from your old tank, correct? Transferring the water from one tank to the next will have little effect on your bacteria-most of your bacteria live on the surfaces of everything (the filter media, the gravel, etc), not in the water. So, how are your water parameters today (numbers for amm/nitrite/nitrate would help)? There really shouldnt be any detectable ammonia or nitrite. You should consider doing a pwc & really get those numbers down to zero. If your fish suffered from dropsy already, you are most likely going to continue to have health issues with your fish because the bacteria that cause it can damage the kidneys permanently leading to the issue of edema in the future. The best advice i can offer here to keep his water super healthy (dropsy is usually indicative of stress & poor water quality) and if you suspect the dropsy is returning, you can try treating with 'cycline' antibiotic (mino or tetra) and aquarium salt and hope for the best.

That doesnt really look anything like dropsy. Dropsy is usually characterized by intense swelling in the abdominal area as well as lifted scales in that area. That looks more like either a fungal infection or some sort of parasite... I could be wrong though. It never hurts to do some water changes, though, regardless of what is wrong!

Sad news for this fish, the wound and swelling on its right side has gone but now there's swelling on the left side, along with slightly protruding scales as shown in these new pictures I took:
img_1642958_0_58b020a49fb5b9eb24a89b9736aa23b9.jpg

img_1642958_1_9500d80fa6d81165a99e9d09c9a09716.jpg

I really think he's having more complications from dropsy, but I'm not sure about treating for it. I did a 1/2 tank water change today, as I needed to relocate the tank out of my room. Any thoughts?

It will be your decision to treat or not. It may help or it may have zero effect because the damage has already been done. I would treat in the slimmest hope it would help but its not my fish. Euthanasia, unfortunately, is your remaining option if he is suffering. If you do decide to treat him, please make sure you keep his water as healthy as possible.

Oh jeez, it seems the swelling has ruptured and he's just resting in one of the tank decorations today. I think I'll go ahead and treat and hope for the best, unless there's any harm in it. Last time I used Jungle brand fungus clear, which it advertises as curing dropsy, and which at least brought the swelling down after about six days of treatment. This was over two weeks but less than a month ago, and there's no information regarding how long I should wait before treating again. Could there be any direct harm to the fish if I treat again this soon? I imagine the tank bacteria will take another hit but I can reintroduce some from the store after I clear the water of the medication right?

Edit: It occurred to me that I now have a spare ten gallon tank to use as a hospital tank for the poor guy, so I'm gonna relocate him there and try treating in a clean environment.

Oh your poor fish! Just my opinion, but i would treat with maracyn2 (minocycline)& aquarium salt. Anything ruptured & open is going to be subject to fluid loss (this is where salt will help) & infection beyond what is already going on. Yes, your bb will probably take a hit but you really should do what is best for your fish (unless you have a qt tank). Ill keep my fingers crossed for you!

Back
Top Bottom