Yellow Comet Goldfish afflicted with red markings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darcro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good day,

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability
I have a yellow comet goldfish who recently developed red shadings on the base of his fins, tail and gills as well as on some parts of his body. He also is acting out of the ordinary by darting around and ramming into the sides and corners of the tank, as well as occasionally rubbing his side on the floor pebbles. It also has a reddish line running down its side, as shown in C of the attached picture. Note that the red is darker in person than in the picture. I suspect it has something to do with new fish that arrived 2 weeks ago, discussed further in question 5 below.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
As it only houses goldfish, I am unaware of the detailed parameters.
edit: pH is around 7.6

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
It is a 30 litre tank and has been setup for the last 4 years.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I am using a simple under-gravel filter system.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
For the last 2 years there has been just this single comet goldfish in the tank. Two weeks ago I decided to introduce a second goldfish into the tank, and proceeded to get a fan-tailed goldfish. It appeared as though the new goldfish was harassing the older one at times, and since the redness appeared on the older goldfish, I have removed the new one and placed it in a separate tank on its own.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
About two weeks ago. 40% water. Do this every couple of weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The older goldfish, who is the sick one in the picture, I've had for about 2 years. The newer fish I got two weeks ago from the local pet shop.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nothing new other than the new terrorist goldfish.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

They have been fed standard goldfish flakes.

Please help me to find out what is wrong with my fish and what I need to do to remedy the problem! Thank you so much for your time!!

Edit: added a better photo

Attachments

• fish_anno.jpg
    fish_anno.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Fish-Edit.jpg
    Fish-Edit.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I would say buy a test kit, because he might be affected by nitrite. I am not sure. Usually, red fins like that is a sign of toxic water.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The only change has been the addition of the new goldfish for about two weeks. Could that affect the nitrite levels of the water so drastically to cause harm? Could the new goldfish have brought diseases with it that match the symptoms described?

Thanks for the quick reply!

The only change has been the addition of the new goldfish for about two weeks. Could that affect the nitrite levels of the water so drastically to cause harm? Could the new goldfish have brought diseases with it that match the symptoms described?
Is it a 30liter? Or a 30gallon tank? That could be you're problem. You're ''killing'' the fish. A Fancy alone need 20gallons, witch is approximately 70liters-80liters. And a common goldfish/comet at least 80-120gallons. They can grow really big and are real pigs. In an 8 Gallon tank like yours, you're fish will kill itself by intoxication, and with 2, they are sure to die or get badly stunted!

I added another clearer photo in the original post above to properly show the red patches.

Wow I never knew a goldfish would require so much? So many people keep goldfish just in little bowls. An 80 gallon tank for a little goldfish is massive! Are you meaning a tank like the one in the attached picture for just one fish?

Why is it that he has been okay for the past 2 years living in the tank on his own?

So if you believe this is why he the red has appeared, how can I remedy the situation?

Attachments

• big_tank.jpg
    big_tank.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,666
I added another clearer photo in the original post above to properly show the red patches.

Wow I never knew a goldfish would require so much? So many people keep goldfish just in little bowls. An 80 gallon tank for a little goldfish is massive! Are you meaning a tank like the one in the attached picture for just one fish?

Why is it that he has been okay for the past 2 years living in the tank on his own?

So if you believe this is why he the red has appeared, how can I remedy the situation?
They can grow over 12'' long. By keeping it in a small habitat, hes not only poisining himself, but he is gonna get stunted, witch makes him stop growing, but his interior keeps growing. Also, common goldfish/comet need aloooooooooooooooooooot of space to swim. They are normally pond fish. You're tank is really way too small for those fish and i would suggest returning them before you get a tragedy:)
To answer you're question, you shouldn't be keeping a goldfish in a 10gallon tank. My best answer would be to return it, unless you are really atached to it and you had it for too long, if you really care about it, i would give it to some expert, because better let it live then kill it unintentionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you're fish is already probably stunted :$ Not sure how severe, but i'm pretty sure it is.

Good day,

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability
I have a yellow comet goldfish who recently developed red shadings on the base of his fins, tail and gills as well as on some parts of his body. He also is acting out of the ordinary by darting around and ramming into the sides and corners of the tank, as well as occasionally rubbing his side on the floor pebbles. It also has a reddish line running down its side, as shown in C of the attached picture. Note that the red is darker in person than in the picture. I suspect it has something to do with new fish that arrived 2 weeks ago, discussed further in question 5 below.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
As it only houses goldfish, I am unaware of the detailed parameters.
edit: pH is around 7.6

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
It is a 30 litre tank and has been setup for the last 4 years.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I am using a simple under-gravel filter system.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
For the last 2 years there has been just this single comet goldfish in the tank. Two weeks ago I decided to introduce a second goldfish into the tank, and proceeded to get a fan-tailed goldfish. It appeared as though the new goldfish was harassing the older one at times, and since the redness appeared on the older goldfish, I have removed the new one and placed it in a separate tank on its own.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
About two weeks ago. 40% water. Do this every couple of weeks.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The older goldfish, who is the sick one in the picture, I've had for about 2 years. The newer fish I got two weeks ago from the local pet shop.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Nothing new other than the new terrorist goldfish.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
They have been fed standard goldfish flakes.

Please help me to find out what is wrong with my fish and what I need to do to remedy the problem! Thank you so much for your time!!

Edit: added a better photo

Hello. Welcome to AA.

By the looks of it your little common goldfish is suffering from ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning and/or septicemia (blood infection). The addition of the second goldfish to such a small tank has most likely caused a massive spike in toxins. What I need you to do is 2-3 50% water changes on the tank ASAP. Make sure to use water conditioner and get the temperature as close to the tanks as possible.

Here is an article on goldfish care.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
It's written by jlk whom is also a member here.

Unfortunately his prognosis is not good due to his living conditions. For any hope of survival you will need to provide him with bigger and cleaner living conditions. The addition of antibiotics will probably be needed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

I feel very misinformed! Goes to show how ignorant some people, including myself, are as far as goldfish keeping is involved. My pet shop didn't go very far to inform me either, but then I don't suppose it's really their job.

After doing the water change, how will I know if antibiotics are required? And if they are, what sort of antibiotics should I ask for at my pet shop?

Another question I would like to ask - what fish could I comfortably keep in my 10 gallon tank?

Thanks for the responses.

I feel very misinformed! Goes to show how ignorant some people, including myself, are as far as goldfish keeping is involved. My pet shop didn't go very far to inform me either, but then I don't suppose it's really their job.

After doing the water change, how will I know if antibiotics are required? And if they are, what sort of antibiotics should I ask for at my pet shop?

Another question I would like to ask - what fish could I comfortably keep in my 10 gallon tank?
Many small fish.
Guppies,Platies,Small rasboras,Small tetras,Corydoras catfish,Small rainbowfish,Small killifish,Small gouramis

Also a beta is fine!:L

Hello. Welcome to AA.

By the looks of it your little common goldfish is suffering from ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning and/or septicemia (blood infection). The addition of the second goldfish to such a small tank has most likely caused a massive spike in toxins. What I need you to do is 2-3 50% water changes on the tank ASAP. Make sure to use water conditioner and get the temperature as close to the tanks as possible.

Here is an article on goldfish care.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html
It's written by jlk whom is also a member here.

Unfortunately his prognosis is not good due to his living conditions. For any hope of survival you will need to provide him with bigger and cleaner living conditions. The addition of antibiotics will probably be needed.

+1

I agree with Mumma. Adding another messy fish to a tiny tank likely was the straw that broke the camels back and you likely had a huge spike toxins. The symptoms of toxin poisoning are the same as those for septicemia. I would start with the water changes Mumma suggested and continue to do them daily until you can figure out your tank situation. Lets see if theres any improvement in your fish with lots of healthy water. If there isnt, then you can consider meds. What meds will depend on what country you live in- some have very strict rules in respect to antibiotics & you may need a veterinarians aid to acquire them.

Back
Top Bottom