Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yellow spots on fish - lost 4 this week

I posted yesterday on what i though was Ich in my tank. Its a 30 gallon with 3 Mollies, a platy, and opaline Gourami. Two gouramis (one already dead) and 2 of the mollies were added in the past week or so. It hasn't cycled yet, and after a 50% water change last night, the Ammonia is .5ppm (usually around 1ppm), and 0 NO2 and NO3. I just added salt and a new heater to slowly raise the temp yesterday after i lost our 3rd fish in 5 days to battle ich. Our bala shark was one of the few i didn't really notice white spots on, instead he looked like this. Notice the brownish color to his fins as well as his stomache - not normal.

I have now notcied similar brownish-yellow spots on one of our Mollies. Also just like out bala shark a day before he died, her tail is sort or dropping as she swims, as if struggling.

Is this a sign of something other that Ich? I was about ready to use Terta Lifeguard but since my tank isn't cycled, wasn't recommended. Petco also had Kordon Ick Attack which I was thinking of getting since it won't mess up my biological filter but decided instead to do the salt/heat method. My fish are dropping like flies.

Suggestions please? I hope i don't have to go home and find another dead fish.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Maybe looks like i'm up against velvet?

Fish Disease - Velvet

This sounds spot on, and also produces tinier whit spots than ich. We lost 2 before i even notcied our platy had it. Most of the fish coloring make it hard to spot, but the "rust" seems like a giveaway. I didn't want to try meds, but i think i'm going to pick up some ick attack.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Adding fish to a cycling tank will kill them and perpetuate your cycle longer than necessary.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Weak, stressed fish will get all varieties of disease. Healthy fish in a cycled aquarium have better immune systems.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com