Yet another betta fin thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
As of like 5 minutes ago

Day he came home

yes its dark but I havnt figured out how to go back in time to get a better pic yet.

Im thinking the tetras are really messing with him however its always him chasing them out when I see it. It doesnt look like fin rot, his tank is very clean. I clean the sand every week of what the cories dont get.

I did add salt yesterday, the measured amount for a 26g, I am getting more in the morning I ran out. If this doesnt work its marcyn II right?

If its fin nipping who wants some tetras? they are the red ones. Not sure what they are to be honest, sisters suprise.

See I dont notice that at all, whenever I watch him he will come to me, hang out there swim a bit, play peek a boo or something he is doing, then chases the tetras out of his kingdom of corner( where he is in the 2nd pic).

I will set up my video cam tomorrow when I run to the LFS Ill be gone a good 3 hours so no humans will be around to disturb him.

Thanks I mean Im not really worried but it doesnt look like rot to me at all and they are way short.

Why would they nip?
What can I do to stop it?

can I get a cone for him not to nip?
^^ haha funny funny get it. Its ok, I havnt quit my day job.

Found one thats lighter but blurred and his fins are way down.

I have a betta that gets bored bites his own tail. I put a ping pong ball in his tank and that helped for awhile. Now I will put a calm betta next to his tank to keep him busy. I tried a female betta but it didn't help. I keep his tank cleaned so when he does bite his tail I don't have to worry about fin rot. His has just grown back again finally.

It looks like his fins are bitten and not frayed because of water quality or fin rot. It could be your tetras doing it some are known fin nippers.

my tank is real clean, I mean I gotta do the sand again sunday but other then debris and dookies its clean. water parameter are great and he eats nothing but bloodworms and maybe his bites every now and then when he chases the bottle back and forth( i somehow get them trained to the look of the certain food bottle, son's last betta did it even came out of his hole when the bottle passed in front of it and right to the top, same with this one when it wants the food but he prefers the frozen/live) So I know he is getting the right nutrients he needs, He hasnt had fruit or veggies the past 2 weeks either though and thats when I noticed, maybe it is him being bored.

Its just something that will have to be lived with then? Man and I took over 20 minutes to pick that certain one out cause of his rich red and his fin quality, oh well.

Once you find out if it is the betta or the tetras doing the damage then you can decide what to do. You might end up with a betta only tank. I have eight now.

I really dont want a betta only tank. I dont like solo fish. oh man well whichever it is will be finding a new home. I dont charge for my fish but ill trade or just give.

Well its not that I dont want another tank I dont have room for any more tanks.

I new I shoulda bought a new house instead of rehabbing this one.

This happened to my other betta. It looks just like it does now, except it was in a tank all by itself. It's under the thread "Help! Sick Betta".

He is in his 1 gallon bowl being treated with heat and salt, the rest of the tank is heat and salted right now as well jsut incase, and the new fish are in th 10g hospital/qt tank.

I will fix this, they will grow back, I am getting live plants so that will take care of the tearing issue.

It wasnt nipping thats for sure, the other tetras just forgot the name again minors maybe red minor tetra** and they are scared of the betta.

Ok put him back in since I noticed something odd in the tank with him out, the cories stayed on the bottom all the time, he went back in this afternoon, nothing happened, well just got back from food shopping and I see the cories swimming mid and high levels.

I come back 5 minutes later and see two cories ganging up on the betta, one has his tail and the other has his dorsal, ok stop to it, betta is back in his own 10g for now, gonna find him tankmates and well talk the wife into it first.

Heat, what heater is good for a tropical 10g, I have the visi-therm for my 26g not sure the model but its made for the 29g I think.

Time to head to Big Als for some new goodies.

I had no idea the cories would do this, everywhere I read they are docile bottom dwellers. what gives? I mean its not territory that I am very sure of since its happening out in the open, he tries to swim away and the corner him. its the two bigger cories, the little one wants nothing to do with the betta or other fish, jsut the other cories.

Back
Top Bottom