YoYo Loach Flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I have a 4ft planted tank cycled and mature for a few years. Ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate about 40. I have one yoyo loach about a year old (of 4) that is flashing on one side. He has been doing this since Christmas. It is mostly at feeding time and getting a little worse. He seems to be flashing on the body just below the top fin but I could be wrong. It seemed to start just after I got some plants which had a few snails.

For the life of me I can't see anything wrong, the skin looks good with no marks and no redness on the fins. Also no ich or spots. Eats well.

I'm treating for ich into the second week (~10 days). The tank temp went above 30C (86F) on the ~6th day but I'm using ich meds (Formalin and Malachite Green). Full dose. The loach has been flashing well before the ich and meds (unless it was in the gills).

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and why the ich treatment is not helping? I'm suspecting a parasite but confused. Many thanks.

i've never used meds for ick before, but I have treated my tank with loaches and just the high temp. it worked well. not sure I follow you correctly, so check me here.
he was flashing first, then you added meds AND raised the temp. temp is now at 86?
is he flashing more now? I had read that you should not combine the high temp (86) with the meds as they both reduce the oxygen in the water.
I would suggest to do a big water change to get the meds out (and some carbon) and just treat with the temp raised. after 10 days get that back down.
how long are you into the raised temp and meds?

i've never used meds for ick before, but I have treated my tank with loaches and just the high temp. it worked well. not sure I follow you correctly, so check me here.

he was flashing first, then you added meds AND raised the temp. temp is now at 86?

is he flashing more now? I had read that you should not combine the high temp (86) with the meds as they both reduce the oxygen in the water.

I would suggest to do a big water change to get the meds out (and some carbon) and just treat with the temp raised. after 10 days get that back down.

how long are you into the raised temp and meds?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, flashing for about 2 weeks before the ich outbreak through the tetras and rasbora. The loach is about the same - still flashing a little around feeding time. Perhaps a bit less, I didn't notice it last night. Usually I see him flash along gravel or ornaments 6 or so times, then all seems good for a bit. I can't pick anything the matter with him along the scales.

When he started (it was just once or twice a day) the only change I had done was add the plants.

The ich outbreak was fairly swift through the fish but the only other thing I can think of is he had it in the gills and the uv filter plus hot weather while away over Xmas (tank went above 30c or 86f for a week) kept it in check.

However since the meds have been going for a week and a bit at full dose I'm kind of stuck on why any parasites haven't been killed off?

The ich looks to have run it's course (touch wood), I could see no spots last night. The tank temp usually sinks over night - heater can't keep up but so far so good with ich. Tank is 4ft tall so it took a few days to heat up - I'm amazed as it didn't look like it would get there.

So yes, a combination of heat and meds. I also thought they would struggle more - except for one night, no issues with meds and they didn't like the heat for a bit. The tank has 2 canister filters going and is well over filtered so perhaps this has made the difference as there is quite a lot of surface water movement.

I almost wonder if the loach has learnt a new trick but it definitely seems to be flashing. No other fish is flashing which is also odd.

All I can think of is QT in a light salt dip if it persists.

Edit I should add just in case I think in a smaller tank the heat by itself would of been fine having done that on 2fts for ich.

Last edited:
It seems odd to me. How clean is your water? I would finish up your ick treatment and then focus on some clean water and see what they do. Loaches don't really like salt so that isn't going to help you a lot.

The water was good and about normal. This week a bit grotty and looking forward to a pwc.

Can't see any more ich for the last few days so good news there.

Yes, a strange one.

Came across an interesting line in an aquarium book that suggested filter wool may be an irritant. Most of my plants are in the original plastic pots somewhat buried and I wonder if the loach has been getting into them. I assume filter wool is wrapped around the plants originally.

I'll try planting them properly during a water change tomorrow. Generally that seems to be a signal for the fish to eat them but will try it.

Back
Top Bottom