zebra danio with huge extended belly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I bought my 5 danios back in feb., I noticed (once at home) that one danio had a slighly fuller belly. I just thought it was pregnant or something (didn't really research it) because one day the belly was normal. Then a few weeks later, it would be the same. The danio's belly stayed "full" and perhaps may have slowly gotten larger, until about a week and a half ago when I noticed it was really really big. Since then I have observed it and on some days it is less swollen than others, but some days I think it just looks painfully big. The danio still bosses everyone around, acts as if nothing is wrong, although I can tell that it is harder for it to swim as fast as the others/with the same agility. I asked my LFS store and they said either I was over feeding (which I'm not or else the other danios would be bloated, and they are perfect) or perhaps it was a tumor of some kind. I do 15% water changes every weekend in the 10 gal tank, and some small cleaning during the week (maybe 10% or less). Any idea what this might be? I really dont want to put the danio down because it was the first one to ever recognize me, but if it gets to the point where I know it is suffering, I don't want it to be miserable. Thanks everyone. Wish I had a digi camera to post a pic of it... maybe one of my friends has one.

ps- color and scales all look normal as well

yup, I am sure it isn't just hurt... I wish I could get a pic up to show you what it looks like. Everything is normal except its belly. I think it avtually bothers me more than the fish.

Well mine just died :( , so I don't think your's has dropsy, as mine did. Try putting him into a QT and putting a little epsom salt in, it helps relieve swelling. Good luck!

sorry that your fish died, I'll try the epsom salt as soon as I move into my new apartment tomorrow (since it wont make any sense to set up a new tank for a day, then take it down, and set it up again... too much stress on the little guy, I think). thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom