Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

zebra danio with huge extended belly

When I bought my 5 danios back in feb., I noticed (once at home) that one danio had a slighly fuller belly. I just thought it was pregnant or something (didn't really research it) because one day the belly was normal. Then a few weeks later, it would be the same. The danio's belly stayed "full" and perhaps may have slowly gotten larger, until about a week and a half ago when I noticed it was really really big. Since then I have observed it and on some days it is less swollen than others, but some days I think it just looks painfully big. The danio still bosses everyone around, acts as if nothing is wrong, although I can tell that it is harder for it to swim as fast as the others/with the same agility. I asked my LFS store and they said either I was over feeding (which I'm not or else the other danios would be bloated, and they are perfect) or perhaps it was a tumor of some kind. I do 15% water changes every weekend in the 10 gal tank, and some small cleaning during the week (maybe 10% or less). Any idea what this might be? I really dont want to put the danio down because it was the first one to ever recognize me, but if it gets to the point where I know it is suffering, I don't want it to be miserable. Thanks everyone. Wish I had a digi camera to post a pic of it... maybe one of my friends has one.

ps- color and scales all look normal as well

Old 08-01-2004, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just bought one today and mine has a fuller belly that the others

Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wonder if it is the same thing????
Old 08-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to angeleyes88_88 Send a message via MSN to angeleyes88_88 Send a message via Yahoo to angeleyes88_88
i have four and have never seen any of them have an extended belly.. are you sure it isnt hurt?
Old 08-05-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yup, I am sure it isn't just hurt... I wish I could get a pic up to show you what it looks like. Everything is normal except its belly. I think it avtually bothers me more than the fish.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well mine just died , so I don't think your's has dropsy, as mine did. Try putting him into a QT and putting a little epsom salt in, it helps relieve swelling. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry that your fish died, I'll try the epsom salt as soon as I move into my new apartment tomorrow (since it wont make any sense to set up a new tank for a day, then take it down, and set it up again... too much stress on the little guy, I think). thanks for the advice.

Tags
belly, danio, zebra, zebra danio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com