1st reef tank 55 gallon help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manny09

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my tank has been cycled and i added 40 lbs of live rock early this week, and i now have blue tang, 2 clown fish and 4 chromis... its a 55 gallon and tooday i added an anemone which the person at the lfs told me its one that doesnt move?? i dont nno much about these so if someone can help me out with thjem it would be great... here are a couple pictures of everything... any sugestions would help... remeber i just started this tank this is my 3rd.. my other 2 tanks are predator tanks, this is my first reef tank so let me no..

this is the anemone... help with some info on it please...
img_754632_0_aa5da71696b3bdf6f67ecc8e74046c2d.jpg

picture of the whole tank
img_754632_1_bfb8fe4e9142f139a3c6d6122e046b0b.jpg

img_754632_2_2a2faa87b1aecd79331afcd75e20a5fa.jpg

img_754632_3_d9a3b582d94aba0e4e5a1a2ce84acd55.jpg

please helpp

It looks to be Heliofungia sp. and not an anemone. I'm sure someone else will mention it, but your Hippo Tang will eventually outgrow your 55g ;)

Yeah that looks like a plate coral to me as well. Seems you may have been duded if you think you got an anemone.

lol.... i guess i was lied to.. well now that i no its a plate coral any suggestion on what else i should do to my tank or how to make it better? ....

It`s kind of hard to do without a knowledge of what you already have. Can you post a list of your equipment.

one other comment that needs to be made is that even if you have proper lighting etc, anemone should not go into a new set up. Tanks should be about a year old before attempting this.

i do have the proper lighting.. i have 2 26 inch 65 watts eachh..

no, that is not the proper lighting, it is on the extremely low side. Not enough for the corals nor the anemone.

Hara said:
Not enough for the corals nor the anemone.

I agree that it`s not enough. You might get some mushrooms. Or very low light corals like sun polyps but the downside to them is that they have to be target fed which gets old after awhile.

ive spoken to a diferent number of people and they have all told me that i have enuf light for corals...

i have in total 170 watts...

if i need more what do i dooo!! :-(

I would recommend returning the coral to the store. First of all, they told you it was an anemone and it isnt. Second of all, your tank is not ready for either a coral or an anemone, if they told you it was fine, they are in error.

Then research your different lighting options, you will be spending several hundred dollars for adequate lighting for corals or anemone.

the money isnt an issue... the question si how much wattage is needed...

and my water has been cycled for 3 weeks.. tested throughout the cycle and after the cycle throughout the cycle i saw my amonia nitrate and nitrites all go up... and then after the cycle they were all down to 0.. i also did the shrimp thing...

today i took myy water and they tested it and everything came out fine...

thanks for the help

When Hara said you should hold off on adding an anemone until your tank is well established (older) I think he/she is concerned about the status of nutrition and biodiversity in the system - (not only the water quality).

I am new to this as well so don't take my word for it but I have never been steered wrong by the moderators here.

BTW. If you chose the "faux anemone" in order to entertain the clown in your tank, you might find (if you decide to keep it) that the clown is happy with it. I don't know if there is any danger in leaving them together but the fish don't know the names of the stuff we stick in tanks.. (hee hee)

Back
Top Bottom