3 things needing ID please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Number 1: Weird, thin reddish algae like substance that "leaks" bubbles every now and again.
084.jpg

Number 2: Bright GREEN Algae growing on rocks.
087.jpg

Number 3: Some weird kind of "vine"
088.jpg

Tank parameters are all within decent ranges.
0 Nitrite
20 Nitrate
PH 7.9 - 8.0
Temp: 77F

well number one could be coraline... not really sure... the second one is coraline.. third one.. some kind of macro algae... no idea what kind tho

-Brad

Thanks for the reply, Brad.

About the 1st picture. It's thin, and it "blisters".
That's the best way I know how to describe it. It's like it has layers, and bubbles will form between the two layers, eventually pushing through the outer "skin".

It's thin, slimy, and comes off actually quite easy.
It wouldn't be cyano, would it?

#1-red slime algae(the bubbles occur late in the lighting cycle right)
#2-could be any kind of algae at this point
#3-some kind of macro
a few things that could help use r/o water, feed less, reduce photoperiod and try to keep the nitrates down

It wouldn't be cyano, would it?

It would... and a pretty bad case of cyano at that! Siphon as much of that stuff off as you can. Then you can scrub the rock with a toothbrush, having a siphon hose handy to catch it all.

Not sure about #2. Could be coralline. Could be the start of hair algae. Can't really tell.

#3 looks kinda like halimeda (a macro algae)... kinda.

I agree with cyano, coraline??, and a macro algea. As Kurt said siphon off as much as possible of that cyano when you do your next PWC. It will spread quickly if you dont. We have a good article on it in our articles section. Please read it to see what causes it and what to do. As far as the third pic a lot of us keep macro algea in our fuges as it is an excellent nutrient exporter in the tank. In the main they kind of over run the tank. I have three tangs in my tank and feed them macro algea and they love it. A little vine like you have there wouldn`t last 2 minutes in my tank. BTW how big is your tank?

im pretty confident that the second pic is coraline... look at some of my pictures for comparison... i was "lucky" enough to get bright green coraline

-Brad

It's a 10 gallon. About a year old. This is the 1st time i've ever seen the red cyano in it.

I think I know how it came about. Started using municipal water for top offs and water changes.

Apparently, our city water has a high amount of phosphates in it.
Looks like nothing but RODI from the LFS from now on.

A quick question re: RODI water. I know a Pur filter is not a substitute for true RODI, but does the pur filter remove enough "crap" to make usable water, or should i just stick with going to the LFS once a week or so for a gallon or two of rodi / pre-mixed water?

Thanks,
Dave

I agree with brad totaly worth the money. you have been on here for over 5 years so I don't think you'll be getting out anytime soon, this will save lots of trips,time and money in the long run and no hefting water around.

Those PUR filters and the like only knock about half the stuff out of the water. I've tested my tap water before the filter, and have a TDS (total dissolved solids) reading of around 90 ppm. After the filter, it's about half that... around 40ppm. Better than tap, but definitely not pure.

It's a 10 gallon. About a year old. This is the 1st time i've ever seen the red cyano in it.

I think I know how it came about. Started using municipal water for top offs and water changes.

Apparently, our city water has a high amount of phosphates in it.
Looks like nothing but RODI from the LFS from now on.

A quick question re: RODI water. I know a Pur filter is not a substitute for true RODI, but does the pur filter remove enough "crap" to make usable water, or should i just stick with going to the LFS once a week or so for a gallon or two of rodi / pre-mixed water?

Thanks,
Dave

Swade near and see if they come off. If they do come off, it probably is cyano. Remove as much as you can and give at least temporary PH to increase the current in the tank. I finally won the war (2 month battle) with Cyano in 10 Nano with the increased current and some physical removal. Now I have other types of algae taking off in which I am panning to raise Baby Seahorses.
2nd opc is too blur but 3rd pic seems like vine of some type of Caulerpa.
Do you happened to have algae eating fish?

Back
Top Bottom