75 gal yellow tang what kind of tang are compatible to add ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pogi Ito

Aquarium Advice Newbie
what are the tangs that compatible with yellow tang thanks?oops its a 90 gal tank my bad ...

is it a 4 footer? thats too small for a yellow tang. i like the yellow eye kole tang, its one of the few that can live in a 4 foot tank

Attachments

• image-1018984253.jpg
    image-1018984253.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 153
  • image-1948986671.jpg
    image-1948986671.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 142
lol a 4 foot tank is fine for a yellow tang but would not put another tang in

if he keeps the tang for twenty years, come talk to me. you won't find anyone who's kept a yellow tang in a 4 foot tank and had them live to their full potential. you may think its okay because the fish looks happy and healthy, but theres a lot that you cant see. i know I'm not the only one who thinks a 4 foot tank is too small

Man all tanks are to small to house fish so we not going there. Point is he can have a healthy small yellow tang live in that tank happy for many years to come and yes when it get to adult he will need a bigger tank but for now he can keep a juv in a 75 not a 55.

Stay cool guys. I personally think that a four foot tank is too small also but you cant discount other opinions and experiences. Just state your opinion or experience and let the OP decide for himself.

Stay cool guys. I personally think that a four foot tank is too small also but you cant discount other opinions and experiences. Just state your opinion or experience and let the OP decide for himself.

Everything is cool we just having a discussion. OneLove here all day.

I have to agree that I wouldnt put a yellow tang in a 4 foot tank. It's not a big deal though, there are several other tangs that would be great in a four foot tank. I'd love to have lots of certain fishbut my 6 foot tank is too small, it happens to all of us, fish envy. LOL

if he keeps the tang for twenty years, come talk to me. you won't find anyone who's kept a yellow tang in a 4 foot tank and had them live to their full potential. you may think its okay because the fish looks happy and healthy, but theres a lot that you cant see. i know I'm not the only one who thinks a 4 foot tank is too small

I agree. Kept tangs for many, many years. Longer the tank the better. You can certainly do whatever your heart desires, but do a bit of research and you will see posts from hundreds of people with sick tangs in too small systems. There are specific reasons behind this, nobody is trying to keep you from having tangs, we just don't enjoy hearing about Ich and other ailments cramped quarters can have on certain tangs over and over again.

In places like Hawaii, where many tangs are caught for the aquarium trade, environmentalists are trying to shut collection down. One reason they use against us is our high mortality rate with surgeonfishes in captivity. Yellow tangs in particular are under threat and may well be eliminated from collection eventually.

Last edited:
To the OP, I have 3 tangs in my 90. The first to go in were a Hippo and Kole. They came from my 44 gal pentagon(yes everyone you read that right). The yellow was added several months after the 90 was started. They all get along great now, but when first added the yellow took a beating from the Kole. All is well, they have plenty of swimming room in my tank, they are all fat and happy, and none of them ever complain. LOL. Oh, I have never had any bout of Ich, and none of these were QT'ed at all.

Put what you want in your system, It is for you to enjoy.

Let's do a survey, those that have had issues with tanks too small for tangs and those that keep them for long terms in cramped tanks. My best guess its a pretty one sided story. You have the right to kill as many fish as you can afford to kill. Just don't give advice that is been proven wrong time and time again. There are a lot of variables and hundreds of posts from people with sick tangs. You have been lucky, so far.

Last edited:
Let's do a survey, those that have had issues with tanks too small for tangs and those that keep them for long terms in cramped tanks. My best guess its a pretty one sided story. You have the right to kill as many fish as you can afford to kill. Just don't give advice that is been proven wrong time and time again. There are a lot of variables and hundreds of posts from people with sick tangs. You have been lucky, so far.

This arguement has been gone over time and again. There are equal amounts of success stories as there are failures. Some of us have given our opinions and some have told of our success or failures. It is for the OP to decide what he/she wants to do.

That's where I disagree, there are far more failure stories than success with long term health with tangs in cramped conditions. As always, you can do what you want, but changing the data isn't acceptable IMO. It's like the mandarin living in a 10 gallon tank. There are stories about it happening, but it isn't a policy that should be taught to beginners that are seeking help.

If you don't accept my opinions, look at any site that sells surgeonfish. They all tell the same story as to tank size requirements.

Back
Top Bottom