A bug(or two) in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidhefey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My mom got a new mushroom on a large live rock. Its Spotted green... not sure with the name, she got it without telling me.

There are 2 other mushrooms on it... but thats not the point

Today, (no picture sorry) I saw a bown and white thing under the large mushroom.... it had antennas/tail? and a millipede/rolly polly like body. And Many legs. I'd say about an inch long. I couldnt see it clearly and when I tried to lift the edge of the mushroom to investigate, it went into a hole.

What is it? Bad... good? I also saw a dead one floating around my tank, this one being half an inch long.

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:
So I looked it up online, it may be a bristle worm? But looks nothing like what ive seen so far, and their body (judging from the dead one) and it had antennas (or it was the tail... like an end of a cricket does?)....

so far none of the bristle worms ive seen have huge antennas(or tail..things) like the bug I saw. And none of them are browninsh and white horizontal striped. I'm looking at it again since its under the mushroom.

Last edited:
hmm no, (eww its so scary) Definately not that... Thanks though!

So I know I have atleast one type of bristle worm, and only saw one so far
(something toxic somehow got into my tank, maybe the pre prepared water that i changed the 10% with today) My other clownfish died </3 but luckily I saved every other tank inhabitant.

I saw several amphipods, quarter inch or so. So maybe the one I saw that was an inch long was... a giant one? No clue.

Browse this website and see if anything looks like what you saw: Xtalreef. I love that site for hitchhiker IDs. It kind of sounds like you saw an amphipod, but I didn't think they would get an inch long. I guess it could be possible.

haha yea so ive heard, I might have one of those too, but its a young one and see through. So I'll probably take a picture and show some LFS it so they might be able to ID it and give me something to kill it.

Thanks xD I'll go down soon to the petco or something to get that. Thank god I only have one though, I've searched everywhere and I mostly have different types of worms that are beneficial on my LR.

Back
Top Bottom