Actual names for these corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one more pic of my entire tank

its a 42 Gal Hex from Oceanic, I have the refrigrium filtration system, power compacts, and an 8 watt uv.

1 True Percula
1 Coral Bandit Shrimp
1 Snake Gobie
25 Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo snails
2 Horseshoe crabs

Tank looks very nice! Looks a bit young yet?

I think the greenish one is a Green Star polyp? thats kind of a stab in the dark though... I'm not all that great at identifying corals just yet. The other's a polyp as well but not sure which kind.

Nice Pics.

The top pic is a Green Star Polyp. IME Fairly easy to take care of. It will like light and encrust along your rocks.

The bottom pic is another story all together. It looks like an Alveopora. IME can be difficult to care for. It neads moderate to high lights with moderate water flow. Ca, Alk and Mg need to be well ballanced and it will not like any level spikes, so if you are dosing, make sure you do it slowly. Mine prefers the sandbed but it is supposed to like the middle to top area of the aquarium. I have read that the survival rate of these corals are very low in the aquaruim, but i have had mine for 3 months and so far so good. Good luck!

Yep the second coral is not a good one to have. Not even the experts are fully confident in saying exactly what it needs to survive/thrive in a aquarium. I have heard they do best in dirty water vs the clean water we strive to maintain.

I know someone who had one for two years and it acutally grew in that time frame and then one day it just stoped opening its oplyps as much as normal and then in a mater of months it was totaly gone.

those green stars are great but you may want to isolate them believe it or not they are like a weed and will take over 8O

Back
Top Bottom