adult brine shrimp? or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Found this guy while cleaning the filter on my QT (for new arrivals). I had previously fed brine shrimp (purchased here: Feeder Shrimp for Aquariums: Live Adult Brine Shrimp). But this doesn't look like the brine shrimp I fed, or any photo of brine shrimp I can find online. It is 1 - 1.5 cm, excluding the antennae.

Might it be something that hitched a ride in with the fish? Two of the 4 in quarantine have recently died.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 66
amphipods will hitch hike on corals and rock.

Yeah see that's the weird thing... the entire QT setup was stored dry until I set it up a few weeks ago. So there was nothing for it to catch a ride on. Strange.

Did you use anything from your main to seed the QT?

I usually keep a bag of ceramic media in my sump to use as biological filtration when setting up the QT... but not this time. Somehow I must have forgotten to replace it. So it's presence in the QT is a true mystery.

I guess I'm not really worried about it if I'm looking at a harmless amphipod... it just startled me when this (relatively) large creature was crawling around because I've never had a great 'pod population in my main or sump... I don't think I've ever seen an amphipod in my system & rarely see copepods.

well just to let u know.....these little guys breed constantly ...so most likely it was a egg on your rocks so it could of stayed on the rock and live for about a year or 2

Back
Top Bottom