Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tell me it's a Feather Duster :)
aiptasia.jpg

If I go near it, it disapprears. This is on my GSP Frag and I took the pic this morning while the lights were out and the GSP was closed. It's REALLY small. I've got a DSLR with a nice lens and I'm right up against the glass zoomed all the way in.

It's really hard to say with this pic, but my gut tells me it's not going to be the answer you're hoping for.

Can you move the frag closer to the glass, let it come out and then get a pic?

It looks more like a feather than aiptasia. Does it have a tube?

well.. I found a nice spot up on top of the rock work for the GSP colony and relocated and I got attacked by my 2 clownfish in the process. I guess they liked it where it was.. :) I almost knocked the tank over when the first one bit me.. Scared the **** out of me.. LOL
Anyway.. New location is right in front of the glass... However, for the life of me I can't find that creature anymore.. I'll keep checking and if it pops it's head out, I'll snap a Pic.

When I originally spotted it, I couldn't really see if it had a shoot or not. All I know is that when I got near it it sucked itself into something.

Just an update.. (Still no better Pics ..sorry):

The GSP is now closer to the glass and I have not seen it again. This morning while doing a PWC, I was siphoning some of the LR and knocked into this frag and it moved a bit. I guess it opened up a better viewing angle..

So ..Someone above asked if it's in a tube... Well.. I now see 3 of these down at the base of the frag. All 3 are DEF in tubes. If I go near them, the suck into the tubes.. once I move away, they pop right back out.

So..Whatta ya think?? Dusters?

Yeah I can say it a duster cause I have those in my tank too and it's coming out like in a little tubes you could barely see, instead of the coral, those settled in my LR :) Aiptasia doesn't look like that though

Last edited:
Yup... duster. Plus, dusters seem to react very quick to just changes in lighting - aiptasia don't. If you just get your hand close to a duster, they'll close up. Aiptasia you have to normally touch before they do anything.

Back
Top Bottom