Aiptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DurTBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Spotted these two guys the other day and I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is aiptasia and whether or not I need to get rid of them. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

img_760523_0_055fe74a61fc85e84da8c8c501716ef4.jpg

img_760523_1_4a5dc7849cf2a71e9d73d30d0b745d97.jpg

Yes they are. Yes you should. (Get rid of them, that is.)

Folks here seem to like Joe's Juice. Never used it myself, but I used a little bottle of white goo called "Aptasia Control". Think is was just calcium hydroxide paste, but whatever it was it worked great. Didn't have to stick a needle or anything, just smothered the aptasia with the white goo and poof... it was gone. Get rid of them fast, when they're small - they multiply.

I ended up getting a Peppermint Shrimp. I've never seen another aptasia show up in my tank.

^ I agree with Kurt. And since they are so small, a peppermint shrimp may be able to handle these for you. You certainly get them early before they become a total nuisance. Good luck.

Thanks guys...I was afraid it was aiptasia. Anyway, I'll throw in a peppermint shrimp once the tank finishes it's cycle. Ammonia is basically gone and nitrites are one it's way down. I just hope it finishes soon because these guys are growing fast. I noticed a difference in size in just one day!

I wouldn't wait... I'd get something to zap them now, either Joe's Juice, Aptasia Control, or any of the other stuff out there. As Fluff mentioned, if they get too big, the peppermints won't deal with them. And you have seen how quick they can grow given the right conditions.

Whatever you do, don't physically yank them out. I made that mistake with my first one and had several more to deal with in the next few weeks. You never get it all, and the pieces that float around can make a brand new one!

Back
Top Bottom